Tensions persist in Ferguson, Mo.

A weekend of resistance called Ferguson October took place Oct. 10-13 — with thousands of protesters taking to the streets, marching and demanding justice for Brown’s death.

United arm in arm, protesters of all ages and ethnicities chanted together as they marched in downtown St. Louis toward the city’s famous arch. Buses arrived and dropped off hoards of people decked out in shirts saying “not one more” and wielding signs stating that “black lives matter.”

Hailing from Brooklyn, N.Y., Justin Myles traveled more than 950 miles to fight for what he said is a war for equality. Taking part in protests day and night, he said he was surprised by police behavior.

“They were beating their batons against their shields,” he said. “It’s kind of very ‘300’-ish, and it just seemed to be more like a war readiness than it was, ‘Let’s make sure that these protesters are doing what they need to do to peacefully protest.’”

Racial tensions in the area have come to a boil in the aftermath of Brown’s shooting. Two-thirds of Ferguson residents are black, and only three of the city’s 53 police officers are black. Citizens say they are tired of police brutality against minorities.

Protests and displays of support for Brown have taken place nationwide, including at UNC-CH, North Carolina Central University and N.C. Agricultural and Technical University.

Ferguson resident Bassem Masri called the situation an all-out war. He has lived in the city his whole life and has been live-streaming the protests for people around the world to see.

“I’m not a journalist,” he said. “I’m not really an activist. I’m just pissed. You know I’m very pissed and that’s what everybody is on the front line.”

After the march, protesters gathered at police headquarters to discuss problems plaguing the black community.

T he rally was more intimate, with around 100 people quietly listening to speakers. A sense of sorrow and frustration emitted from the microphone as they described the adversity they faced because of their race.

Masri said the mainstream media fails to capture the police violence toward protesters and said there is a lack of accurate coverage.

“We have standoffs with them every day. People get arrested and assaulted every day. And none of that stuff ever hits the mainstream media,” he said.

A Ferguson police lieutenant refused to comment about the weekend’s protests.

Extremist ideology has also emerged.

Mauricelm-Lei Millere is a leader in the African American Defense League and works with the Black Panther Party.

“We want to be in every state fighting the police,” Millere said. “I’m not talking about civil disobedience or protests, I’m talking about doing to them the same thing they doing to us, doing to our people. Shooting them down like dogs.”

Millere said he does not preach violence.

“Of course you shoot the police,” Millere said. “That’s not violence, that’s self-defense. The police are shooting us — they’re killing our kids.”