The Heel shuts down temporarily, hopes to reopen

General manager Giuli Lurito said the bar is planning a staff meeting today, where the bar will brief employees about protocol. She will then meet with an ALE officer before the bar can be approved to reopen.

Lurito, a UNC senior, said in an email that the permits are being resubmitted because the bar’s owner, Glen Turner , is looking to pursue other avenues in Florida and will be leaving Chapel Hill in about a month.

The permits will be issued in Lurito’s name to ensure the permit holder is local.

The Heel opened in August with the goal of being a bar for students, run by students. The site was formerly occupied by The Thrill , which was condemned in November 2012 due to building code violations. It was later renovated .

The Heel is currently working on updating kitchen equipment and is awaiting inspection from the fire department, Lurito said.

“The whole facility has been closed due to the out-of-date code violations indoors,” she said.

Changes will include the implementation of a new fire suppression system, she said.

Joey Skavroneck , a UNC junior who works with The Heel on marketing, said the bar will reopen on Tuesday with the new permits.

The Chapel Hill ALE office could not be reached for comment Sunday, and representatives from the state ALE office said they couldn’t comment until Monday.