UNC women's soccer pushes winning streak to eight

Midfielder Alex Kimball confronts a Pitt defender during the Carolina win against Pitt Sunday afternoon.

CORRECTION: Due to a reporting error, a previous version of this story misstated the time when Emily Bruder scored her second goal. She scored both goals in the first half of the game. The story has been updated to reflect this change. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

After taking down the Panthers 2-1 to improve to 9-2-1 on the season, though, the Tar Heels could add another player to that list.

Coming off the bench in the 23rd minute and watching Pittsburgh take a 1-0 lead, sophomore forward Emily Bruder equalized for UNC 14 minutes before the half — becoming the 10th player to score this season for the Tar Heels and getting her first collegiate goal in the process.

"(Coach) Anson (Dorrance) always says that every single player can come off the bench and make a difference,” Bruder said. “Every game, we always have a reserve coming out there scoring and making a difference.”

Bruder did just that with her first goal and was part of a large North Carolina substitution that re-energized the team, helping it climb back into the game.

“It’s huge,” Dorrance said. “In my opinion (the depth is) our best weapon right now. There’s not that big of a difference between player No. 11 and player No. 19. If that’s the case, let’s take advantage of player No. 19’s energy.”

Bruder struck again before the second half to score the game-winning goal after Pitt’s back line was unable to clear away a corner kick from sophomore forward Sarah Ashley Firstenberg.

“Emily just grinds away; we see huge potential in her,” Dorrance said. “Earlier in the year, she wasn’t even hitting the frame ... And then now she’s scoring goals. It was an evolution for her as far as becoming a finisher for us.”

UNC’s ability to get goals from any player is the reason the team is undefeated in the ACC and hasn’t lost since Aug. 31 against Pepperdine.

“Having a new line of people come in really excites us and gets us all together,” said junior forward Summer Green. “I didn’t finish like I wanted to, but I tried to get as many people in as possible and create different things off the attack.”

Because of the depth on the team, players find themselves competing at a much higher level throughout the game — both because of extra rest and added competition.

For teams without that depth, it can be incredibly difficult to keep up.

“You always know that you have someone that will come in and take your place and do the same just for you,” Bruder said. “We can basically form two teams that are both capable of winning our games for us, every single time.”

Staff writer Logan Ulrich contributed to reporting.