Wainstein report to be released Wednesday

The report took eight months to compile

Eight months after he was retained, former federal prosecutor Kenneth Wainstein has finished his investigation.

Wainstein's report on academic misconduct will be released at a press conference at Kenan-Flagler Business School on Wednesday at 1 p.m., according to a press release from UNC. The press conference will follow a special joint conference of the Board of Governors and the Board of Trustees.

UNC paid Wainstein $990 per hour to complete the investigation, according to documents provided to The Daily Tar Heel in the spring. Members of Wainstein's team were paid between $450 and $775 per hour.

Chancellor Carol Folt and UNC system President Tom Ross will attend Wednesday's press conference to respond to any questions and explain how UNC will address issues raised in the report.

In an email to the UNC community, Folt said there will be an open meeting to discuss the report on Wednesday at 5 p.m. in the Genome Science Building.

"I believe this report will allow us to have a complete picture of what happened at Carolina and build on the numerous reforms we have already put in place," she said in the email.

At the June Board of Governors meeting, Wainstein said his team had reviewed more than 1 million emails as well as examined student records, including transcripts, going as far back as the 1980s.

"We think it's important to do it thoroughly and to do it right," Wainstein said in June.

univeristy@dailytarheel.com