RSVVP has record number of participating restaurants

Michael Thornburg is a Senior and majoring Political Science.  He started rapping after he graduated high school; he often finds motivation in emotional struggle. Dennis Farrell and David Deterding (right) enjoy a meal at Top of The Hill on Franklin Street during the Inter-Faith Council's annual Restaurant Sharing Ten Percent event Tuesday.
Michael Thornburg is a Senior and majoring Political Science. He started rapping after he graduated high school; he often finds motivation in emotional struggle. Dennis Farrell and David Deterding (right) enjoy a meal at Top of The Hill on Franklin Street during the Inter-Faith Council's annual Restaurant Sharing Ten Percent event Tuesday.

The annual RSVVP —Restaurants Sharing V & V Percent, where the Vs are Roman numerals — event took place Tuesday, and had 114 participating restaurants compared to 102 for the 2013 event, said Irene Briggaman, founder of the RSVVP program.

RSVVP Day is a fundraising event for which participating restaurants contribute 10 percent of their total proceeds to benefit the food programs of the Orange County Inter-Faith Council for Social Service’s food pantry and community kitchen.

Briggaman said when RSVVP began in fall 1989, 43 restaurants agreed to participate and the event raised $6,500. In 2013, Briggaman said the event’s 102 contributing restaurants raised $21,000.

RSVVP day started in Chapel Hill and Carrboro after the Raleigh branch of the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina approached Briggaman about implementing the annual event, which is in its 25th year.

The idea for RSVVP came from waiters and waitresses who set aside tip money to feed the underserved in their area.

Briggaman said in 2013, 16,828 bags of food were given to 4,000 people assigned to receive aid from IFC’s FoodFirst programs.

“It’s a surprise to me to learn that 31 percent of elementary school children are enrolled in the national free school lunch program,” Briggaman said. “That is a big number for a town that is supposed to be affluent.”

Briggaman said RSVVP day is one of the largest fundraisers for the food program.

Sal’s Pizza has participated in RSVVP day since 1989.

“If I can do something to help people, then I don’t mind,” said owner Filippo Torappa.

Jeff Wardwell — manager at Top of the Hill Restaurant and Brewery, which has participated in the program for 15 years — said RSVVP day builds a sense of community.

“It seems to bring in some business for us, and it gives us a chance to give back to the community,” he said.

Jessica Quinn, assistant manager at 15-year participant Carrburritos, said the restaurant expected to donate around $500 to IFC’s food programs this year.

“We love giving back to the community,” she said.

Michael Mendes, director of sales and marketing at 15-year participant Alfredo’s Pizza Villa, said RSVVP day helps Alfredo’s achieve its goal of being an independent local establishment.

“We like everything local because local supports us,” Mendes said. “We like giving back to a community that gives to us.”

Mendes said Alfredo’s expects to donate between $150 and $250 to the event.

Briggaman said hunger is a problem that can be resolved.

“It is so nice to work with something where you can see results,” she said.

“And the restaurants that have been so loyal to us for many years are a part of that solution.”