Running back Romar Morris suspended after DWI arrest

North Carolina football coach Larry Fedora said Monday in a statement that Morris was suspended for a “violation of team rules.”

“We hold our players accountable for their actions and when a player makes a poor decision, he must face the consequences,” Fedora said.

Morris and the team returned from Miami Saturday night following a 47-20 loss to the Hurricanes. Hours later, he was arrested at 4:12 a.m. Sunday at the 100 block of Misty Woods Circle in Chapel Hill.

He blew a .12 into breath alcohol testing equipment at the scene of the arrest, said Lt. Joshua Mecimore, a spokesman for the Chapel Hill Police Department. The legal limit is .08.

Morris was pulled over for failing to maintain lane, according to reports from the Chapel Hill Police Department.

The 22-year-old was driving a 2001 black Honda Accord and was released on an unsecured bond at 5:30 a.m. to a sober person, police reports state.

Morris signed a written promise to appear for his court date, which is scheduled for Thursday Nov. 13 at 9 a.m.

Morris’ one-game suspension is the same punishment defenders Brian Walker, Des Lawrence, M.J. Stewart and Donnie Miles received when they allegedly hazed redshirt freshman walk-on wide receiver Jackson Boyer in August.

Mecimore said he didn’t have any data showing whether Morris was alone in the car when he was pulled over.

Morris cooperated with the police officer who pulled him over and doesn’t have a prior record with Chapel Hill police, Mecimore said.

“If he has no prior charges, no prior convictions that would apply in this, the likelihood is that a conviction would result in a fined court cost, possibly community service and then revocation of your privilege to drive, typically for 12 months,” Mecimore said.

Morris, a Salisbury native, is UNC’s fourth leading rusher with 162 yards on the season.

He has 44 carries and is tied for second on the team with four rushing touchdowns.

“I’m hopeful Romar will learn from his mistake and make better decisions in the future,” Fedora said.