UNC cross country teams take first and third at ACC Championships

On Friday, the numbers unveiled a crushing victory as the No. 15 North Carolina women’s cross country team took the ACC Championship for the first time in 11 years in Earlysville, Va.

UNC beat runner-up Florida State by 42 points. Five runners earned All-ACC honors, six runners finished in the top-25 and UNC had six women across the line before any other team had four.

The numbers were so dominant that senior Annie LeHardy, who paced the Tar Heels with a fourth-place finish, said they knew they had won before the results were officially tallied.

“We started celebrating the minute we crossed the line to be honest,” she said.

LeHardy said she knew if everyone had a good race, they could do something great — and they did.

“It feels incredible,” she said. “Since my freshman year I’ve watched FSU just dominate the ACC, and it’s just a dream come true.”

LeHardy was followed closely by senior Lianne Farber, who finished in seventh. Senior Karley Rempel, freshman Caroline Alcorta and senior Lizzy Whelan finished 11th, 17th and 18th.

“Karley Rempel stepped up huge for us in that three spot,” Coach Mark VanAlstyne said.

Rempel broke her personal record by more than 30 seconds, while Alcorta also set a new personal record and was awarded ACC Freshman of the Year.

The women started the season unranked in the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches’ Association and finished ninth last year in the ACC.

“We knew it was gonna be a special year,” VanAlstyne said. “The mood before the race this morning was light and relaxed, and we just had a good feeling about it from the beginning.”

For the men’s team, the numbers were a lot closer. No. 28 UNC placed third and lost to second-place N.C. State by just five points.

Senior Ryan Walling said he thinks this meet was their best of the season so far.

“I’m really proud of how everyone competed on the course today,” he said.

Despite being edged out for second, the top five finishers on the men’s side set new personal records.

VanAlstyne said if the men’s and women’s team scores were combined, UNC would have the best score in the conference. With that fact, along with the slew of personal records UNC posted, the numbers certainly spoke for themselves.