Women’s soccer team hasn't lost in 12 games, keeps momentum going

Kamaira Philips is the founder, president and treasurer of Mind, Body, Spirit Connection, a social and wellness organization at UNC. Philips is leading a community yoga class in the Coker Arboretum at 2 p.m. on Friday.

But after exceeding expectations and tying for first in the regular season, the Tar Heels look to keep proving doubters wrong as they kick off the ACC tournament as the No. 2 seed against Virginia today.

“Going into a season knowing that people are expecting you to roll over and die and pretty much hand games to them, we decided as a team that that’s not going to happen,” said senior defender Satara Murray.

During the 2013 season, the Tar Heels relied on Ohai and Dunn, who combined for 25 of the team’s 50 total goals scored. Many anticipated the loss to be something the Tar Heels couldn’t recover from.

“I think girls took that personally, and they turned it around and made it so much more,” Murray said. “I couldn’t be prouder of each and every one of them.”

Instead of replacing stars with more stars, the Tar Heels have filled the void with unselfish play and a collective team effort, which has included many different players.

“It’s so different than the last four years when we had the Crystal Dunn and Kelia Ohai tandem of these two superstars that we could rely on,” coach Anson Dorrance said. “But what I like about our group is they found a different way to win. We’ve done it with our depth. We’ve done it with our energy and commitment.”

All 20 players Dorrance brought to New York for the final regular season game against Syracuse Sunday got to see playing time in the 2-1 overtime victory. Syracuse played 13.

“There isn’t an enormous difference between player 11 on our roster and player 20,” Dorrance said.

That has certainly shown on the Tar Heels’ current 12-game unbeaten streak. Fifteen of the 28 goals scored have come from bench players.

“Our philosophy has always been whenever, however many minutes you get, just go out there and burn yourself out,” said sophomore Amber Munerlyn. “You know the teammate behind you is going to work just as hard. Just give what you can with the minutes you get and just run with it pretty much.”

The Tar Heels are no longer relying on star players, but this season they don’t have to.

“It’s going to be a different way for us to win,” Dorrance said.

“But I’ve been impressed with how we’ve done it. And hopefully we’ll continue to do it through the postseason.”