Ten Thousand Villages hosts fundraiser for Seymour Center

Ten Thousand Villages, located in the Eastgate shopping center, is hosting a holiday fundraiser Thursday that will benefit the Friends of the Robert and Pearl Seymour Center.

Kathie Reeves, publicity chairwoman for the Seymour Center, said she hopes to raise $400 to $500 through the fundraiser.

Reeves said she doesn’t know what exactly the money will be used for.

“We haven’t planned for it, but I know that the Seymour Center needs a sound system,” Reeves said.

“Some of the money could possibly go to that.”

Friends of the Robert and Pearl Seymour Center, a volunteer nonprofit organization, is the fundraising branch of the center.

Ten Thousand Villages is a nonprofit, fair trade retailer of artisan crafts located at 1800 E. Franklin St.

From 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, 15 percent of all sales at the store will go toward the center’s programs and services for older adults provided by the Orange County Department on Aging.

Ten Thousand Villages and the Seymour Center have previously worked together for fundraising events.

The two organizations also hosted a holiday shopping event in 2013, which was successful, said Keilayn Skutvik, store manager for Ten Thousand Villages.

Skutvik said the store often hosts fundraising events for nonprofits during the holiday season.

“It’s rewarding to work with people who work directly with a population that needs help in the area,” Skutvik said.

The holiday shopping event is just one of many programs the Seymour Center organizes to support programs for older adults.

One such event was the Goat Parade, a public art display and tour that benefited the center and the Chatham County Council on Aging.

The 10 sculptures were painted by local artists and then displayed across the Triangle. The goats were auctioned on Nov. 14.

Skutvik said Ten Thousand Villages typically brings in $300 to $400 for the organizations they partner with during fundraising events.

The store sells a variety of handmade home decor, art, jewelry and accessories.

Reeves said the Seymour Center’s partnership with Ten Thousand Villages was a result of outreach efforts done for another event.

“I was selling advertising for one of our events and they said we don’t advertise as such,” Reeves said.

“But we do offer special events where you can participate in them and get a percentage of the sales going to your nonprofit.”

Skutvik said Ten Thousand Villages hosts similar events throughout the holiday season with different groups.