Carrboro man takes Bob Marley birthday festival to California

Robert Roskind, a writer and man full of love, is organizing A Global Call to Love concert, which will be held Feb. 6 and 7 in California and streamed for free worldwide.

The event is being hosted in celebration of Bob Marley’s 70th birthday.

It will feature several reggae artists and speakers who all support the One Love Foundation’s message.

While the event will take place in California, anyone in the world can watch the live stream online.

“Ten years ago we did an event that was broadcasted for the entire island of Jamaica,” Robert Roskind said.

“Now we’re going to do one for the entire planet.”

Robert Roskind said he chose California for the event because it’s the central vibration of reggae where most of the fan base resides.

He said the event would hold about 1,000 people each night.

Robert Roskind’s daughter, Alicia Roskind, helped create the One Love Foundation with her dad and now owns her own yoga studio in Charlotte called Okra.

She has helped host many of the foundation’s 200 One Love events, which have been held all across the United States and in Jamaica, since she was 14 years old.

The events consist of bringing artists into inner city schools, Native American reservations, maximum-security prisons in North Carolina and events for Bob Marley’s birthday.

“I feel that both my parents just raised me to think and live in this One Love environment,” said Alicia Roskind.

“It has kept me really calm, level and balanced to where I know it has influence in everything I do.”

Besides spreading the message of Bob Marley around the world, Robert Roskind said he shares his calm and relaxing way of life through his coffee shop, Oasis at Carr Mill Mall.

“I run the Oasis coffee house where all during the week we have holistic speakers,” he said. “During the day it’s a very relaxed coffee house with calm music.”

Chris Reeder, a UNC student who grew up in Chapel Hill, said that even though he’s not a coffee person, Oasis’ vibe makes it a great place to hang out.

“When I went, there was a guy playing steel drums,” Reeder said.

“Not only was he playing them, but he was teaching the audience, too.”

Robert Roskind said he wants to continue to spread his passion for unconditional love. He is currently running an Indiegogo campaign to raise money for his organization so that he can keep all of the One Love events free of charge.

“All of our events, and all of the 11 books, are all geared toward one thing,” he said.

“Whatever religion, or no religion, just remember that love is the game.”