Chapel Hill Art Gallery, located on East Franklin Street, hosts receptions for its featured artists, and Taylor said the receptions are growing every month.
Chapel Hill Art Gallery makes a profit by selling paintings, photography, sculpture, pottery and furniture. When artwork is sold, the gallery gains 75 percent of the revenue while the artist takes the remaining 25 percent, according to Taylor.
Tyndall Galleries, located in University Mall, has artists working on consignment — meaning the gallery does not pay the artist but works with them to support them and market their work.
“Everybody here is a part of this gallery, every artist is a part of this gallery. They all know each other and they know that we are for them,” said owner and director Jane Tyndall.
Unlike other galleries where the holidays produce the most revenue, Tyndall said her gallery sells the most during its solo shows and receptions.
“I love being here. I mean it’s just been great because there’s just so many shops just right in the same place,” said Tyndall, who graduated from UNC in 1969. “I think that if I were in a free-standing place by myself, I don’t think I would have as much traffic as we have here.”
FRANK Gallery on East Franklin Street is a nonprofit organization. The gallery finds ways to sustain itself through the support of donors and community partners.
Donations make up more than 10 percent of FRANK’s income and sales contribute to over 67 percent of its income.
This money, along with grants and dues, is used for FRANK’s operations, commissions, events and ?programming.
FRANK Gallery is run like a co-operative and has 21 member artists who pay dues to feature their work in the gallery. In addition, the gallery supports more than 80 consigning artists.
To drum up additional revenue, FRANK hosts themed shows including local and invitational shows for artists.
As a nonprofit, the gallery depends on consistent patrons and large fundraising drives. But gallery manager Torey Mishoe said this allows the gallery to expand into community projects and outreach.
“We’re a place that people who appreciate art and make art and know nothing about art can come and can be a part of the conversation,” Mishoe said.
While there are consistent art patrons who support art in the Chapel Hill area, representatives from all three galleries said they make the most money most off the receptions highlighting individual artists.
“(Art galleries) allow more artists to be able to do their work because they are able to make a living from it,” Tyndall said.
“It also educates the people who come in here that maybe would walk in and didn’t know that much about art.”