Chi Phi fraternity sanctions still not reviewed

Seven months later, the Standards Review Board has yet to meet.

Aaron Bachenheimer, director of the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life and Community Involvement, said the board intended to meet in late fall but will instead meet in the next few weeks.

“Part of the review process is to actually assess progress,” he said. “The board’s primary function is to look at sanctions and see how the chapter is responding.”

The board will only meet with Chi Phi representatives once, Bachenheimer said. It will review the fraternity’s academic performance, its recent recruitment and its compliance with its national chapter’s remedial action plan.

“The board has the ability to say, ‘Great, we’ll see you again in six months,’ or, ‘We have concerns about something. Let’s look into further remedial action,’ or just, ‘Great, we’ll let you know if we need to see you again,’” Bachenheimer said.

For the assessment to be effective, he said the board could not convene sooner than late fall. Scheduling difficulties delayed the meeting until spring.

Peter Diaz, president of the Interfraternity Council, sits on the board. He said Jonathan Sauls, dean of students for social affairs and chairman of the board, has been in touch with board members about meeting.

Diaz said the Standards Review Board is under the University’s jurisdiction, not the Interfraternity Council’s.

Diaz also confirmed Chi Phi has hired a resident adviser, as its national chapter ordered it to do in March 2014. The fraternity was allowed to delay the hiring until January 2015 while it renovated its house to make the new hire’s quarters more livable.

A spokesman for the Southern Order Memorial Foundation, which owns the Chi Phi house, said the new resident adviser is Jon Ratty, a graduate of UNC-Wilmington and the Arizona Culinary Institute. He will be responsible for overseeing daily house operations.

Ratty is expected to move in this week, pending a final inspection of the house renovation.

“We believe this action finalizes the last major step undertaken with Chi Phi national to address key concerns and positions the house to continue to positively contribute to the future of the University and Chapel Hill,” said Todd Blanton, president of the foundation, in a statement on behalf of the foundation and the Chi Phi Alumni Advisory Board.