Ephesus-Fordham public hearing set by Chapel Hill Town Council

The report included information on options for a pedestrian bridge and flood plain maps based on future development.

John Richardson, sustainability officer for the town, said reports will continue to be completed twice a year for the next two years and will continue annually for the next 10 years or so.

Council member Maria Palmer said the creation of a large community park should be a priority.

“I’m thinking of the thousands and thousands of people who are going to be calling this home when it’s built out in 10 years,” Palmer said.

Richardson also showed the council the beta version of a story map called the Ephesus-Fordham District Scorecard, an online tool with various layers showing bus traffic, property values, traffic patterns and other features.

“The idea would be that over time, we would track this information,” Richardson said. “What this tool allows us to do is also incorporate a way of seeing the change.”

Orange County commissioners will discuss updates on the Ephesus Church Road/Fordham Boulevard public improvements and request county investment in the project at their meeting today.

“I think there are a lot of loose ends in this code,” council member Ed Harrison said.

The council will have a public hearing on April 20 to consider amendments to current regulations on the district.

Council members discussed making 140 West Franklin home to a farmers market.

“What we need to be doing is working with the Chapel Hill Farmers Market to find them a good home,” Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt said. “And if we can find it in the district, that’s great.”

But council member Jim Ward said that may not be ideal.

“The 140 West is so close to the Carrboro Market,” Ward said.

“The advantage of another location needs to be proximity or at least some incentive for people to have one that’s significantly closer to them than the current market.”