Former undergrad and law student comes back to Chapel Hill as interim Title IX coordinator

The University of Alabama’s former Title IX coordinator has returned to Chapel Hill to take the same position at her alma mater.

Katie Nolan, who attended UNC as an undergraduate and a law student, is the new interim Title IX coordinator at UNC. She is filling the vacancy left by former Title IX Coordinator Howie Kallem, who left to take the same position at Duke University in December

Nolan said she decided to take this position because, as an alumna, she wants to be a part of the University’s efforts to raise awareness about sexual assault and misconduct.

“This is an issue that’s gaining national attention right now and advocates across the country have been raising awareness on this issue,” she said.

Nolan said the University of Alabama had a great and growing program, but that each school is unique.

According to the University of Alabama's Campus Security Report, there were 19 forcible sex offenses on campus from 2011 to 2013. UNC reported 47 forcible sex offenses from 2011 to 2013 in its Campus Security Report. 

“It’s a matter of tailoring the individual programs to the needs of the campus,” Nolan said.

Nolan said she was aware of the complaint filed to the Office of Civil Rights against UNC's Title IX office for its handling of sexual assault cases in 2013, but since the case is still being reviewed, she could not comment further on the matter.

Nolan said her goals while she holds this position include participating in the campus climate surveys, creating a sexual assault prevention task force and launching an awareness campaign. 

“My goal is to build on the program that’s already here and to continue to reach out to the campus community,” she said.

Nolan said she has not thought about whether she will make this a permanent position, but is instead focusing on the issues at hand.

“Right now my attention is focused on the job that’s in front of me now, and that’s to continue to build on the programs that are in place,” she said.

Some of these programs include HAVEN, One Act and Raise the Bar. 

Hilary Delbridge, Title IX public communications specialist for UNC, said more details about the search for a permanent Title IX coordinator will be available in the future. 

Kallem said one of the toughest but most rewarding parts of his job at UNC was working with the Sexual Assault Task Force in developing the current policy

“Katie will have a chance to work with many of them, and she is lucky to have that chance!” he said in an email.

He also said that as experience is gained with new policy and procedures, there might be a need for future changes to the Title IX coordinator position.

Kallem declined to comment on why he left UNC.

Deborah Lane, associate vice president of University Relations at the University of Alabama, said Nolan’s colleagues at Alabama said she was pleasant to work with and passionate about the issues and doing her job well. 

“Her legal training, general knowledge of education law and legal experience were beneficial during her time at UA,” Lane said in an email.

Nolan said in her efforts to build constituencies across campus, she has been reminded of many great memories of her time as a student at UNC.

“You know, I really think this is the best campus in the country. I loved Chapel Hill and it’s just wonderful to be back here," Nolan said.