Local sustainable food provider delivers organic food nationwide

Jamie DeMent and Richard Holcomb own Coon Rock Farm in Hillsborough. They sell their products at their farm, at farmer's markets and now online.

Heirloom Provisions, a Hillsborough-based sustainable food provider, curates its own collection of culinary products, for sale to all food lovers nationwide. It partners with local producers and artisans to deliver locally sourced organic and scratch-made goods to customers’ homes.

“It’s basically a farmer’s market that delivers directly to your door,” said Jamie DeMent, who co-owns Heirloom Provisions with her husband, Richard Holcomb. “Who doesn’t love to get a box of food on their door every week?”

The pair also owns and operates several other businesses, including Bella Bean Organics, Coon Rock Farm and Piedmont Restaurant. Heirloom Provisions, founded a little over a year ago, is an expansion of Bella Bean Organics, extending the delivery services nationwide rather than locally.

Bella Bean and Heirloom both grew out of the couple’s lifestyle, DeMent said.

“We figured there’s a lot of busy people out there who want the same, high quality, local, organic and artisan food that don’t have time to do all that,” she said.

Heirloom partners with several Chapel Hill and Raleigh-based businesses, including The Bagel Bar, Videri Chocolate Factory and Chapel Hill Creamery, among others statewide.

The Bagel Bar has been supplying Heirloom and Bella Bean with in-house, scratch-made bagels and cream cheese for almost two years.

“It’s been positive for us — it’s allowed us to expand our reach to folks in areas that might not get over to Chapel Hill, but still want a great bagel,” said Karra Pate, who co-owns The Bagel Bar with business partner Jon Collins.

Videri Chocolate Factory, owned by Sam Ratto, Starr Sink Ratto and Chris Heavener, supplies Heirloom with gourmet, organic chocolate made in Raleigh.

“We enjoy working with local businesses and think it’s very important to support them — we try and partner as much as we can and support that local community,” said Sienna Senyo, in charge of wholesale fulfillment for the company.

DeMent and Holcomb have established business partnerships that extend to those on UNC’s campus, with a direct connection between their companies and Sprout UNC, which delivers fresh, organic produce to students on campus.

They are doing what they can to contribute to the local, sustainable food movement, she said. Her goal is to make it easy for people to change the ways that they eat, and give people access to natural, organic foods, she said.

“If we’re not rethinking the way that we eat as an entire nation, then we’re not going to be able to continue feeding people the way we’ve been doing the past 50 years,” she said. “It’s been great to watch the growth of the local, sustainable food movement.”