Wednesday December 8th

Muslim Student Association, others get Student Congress funding

UNC’s Muslim Student Association appeared before Student Congress Tuesday, along with four other student groups, to request funding for the spring semester.

The Muslim Student Association asked for $7,026 to be retroactively funded for their largest fundraiser, Sportsfest, which benefited the secondary education of Muslim girls in Tanzania. The group’s representative said the group is requesting the funds, despite having the money saved to cover the Sportsfest expense, because they are hoping to save enough for their own chaplain.

Khadiga Konsouh, a sophomore and MSA community service chair, said in a previous interview with The Daily Tar Heel that MSA shares a chaplain with Duke University and North Carolina State University.

The other groups requesting funds were the UNC Dance Team, Hispanic/Latino Law Students’ Association, Carolina Association for Future Magazine Editors and anarchist group the UNControllables.

Each of the groups had to send representatives to full congress after failing to receiving unanimous approval in the finance committee and all groups were granted their requests Tuesday.

The 30-year-old UNC Dance Team, which is funded by the athletic department but does not receive money to attend a national competition, requested funding for the first time this year.

“We commit around 15 hours to our rehearsals and work outs, and this doesn’t include games and fundraisers,” said team member Hailey Salito. “The biggest thing we are here for is funding for our national competition.”

Salito said the 22 members have to each pay about $600 each for costumes and other dance-related expenses. The group’s request of $12,838 was approved to send the team to a national dance competition.

The 18-member student anarchist group, the UNControllables, asked for $8,340 to bring radical speakers to campus.

“We are the only anarchist group at UNC, and as far as I know we are the only anarchist group at a university in the South,” UNControllable member James Murphey said.

The group wants to bring speakers like Harry Halpin, a team member of the World Wide Web Consortium to speak about topics like hacking and digital resistance. Murphey said Halpin would cost $2,500 to bring to campus. The group was eventually approved for funding, but was originally brought up for a second discussion because of the amount of money being spent on events.

“Last semester we gave out a lot of money to people with good budgets, and we ran out of money very quickly,” said Cole Simons, a Student Congress representative.

CORRECTION: Due to a reporting error, a previous version of this story mischaracterized where the UNC Dance Team gets its funding. The team is partially funded by the athletic department, but it does not receive money from the department to go to a national dance competition. Student Congress allocated money to the team for expenses related to the competition. The story has been updated to reflect this change. The Daily Tar Heel apologizes for the error.

Next up in Student Life

Next up in University

Next up in Student Groups and Organizations

Next up in

Next up in Student Government

Next up in Duke University

Next up in Corrections

The Daily Tar Heel for December 1, 2021