UNC, Duke theatre companies team up for "Me Too Monologues"

Richard Walden and Catherine Shocket perform in the LAB! Theatre play Finding the Goblin King.

Duke student Priyanka Chaurasia founded the project “Me Too Monologues” in 2009, which uses material submitted solely by students.

Duke junior and “Me Too” director Kari Barclay was responsible for bringing the production to UNC and six other universities across the country. Although the project originally centered on race, the theme of identity was introduced to broaden the project’s scope.

“People’s identities are so intersectional, so it wouldn’t be enough to talk about Asian-American identity. We had to start talking about what it means to be an Asian-American woman, or what it means to be African-American and gay,” Barclay said. “We wanted to capture the different facets of identity that each person has and how they intersect with each other.”

UNC sophomore and KTC producing director Emma Gutt acted as the initial proxy in bringing “Me Too” to Chapel Hill, and she also helped secure grant money for the production through the Kenan-Biddle Partnership.

“The grant allows Duke students and UNC students to attend the different shows and kind of see what’s different and similar, which is awesome,” she said.

Gutt also said the event is unique compared to projects that UNC’s theater groups normally produce.

“It’s something that comes from the audience. It comes from the people on campus.”

LAB! is also involved in the production of “Me Too,” but the organization has plans to produce a separate project based on student submissions. The project will revolve around students’ experiences with love and is tentatively called “The Love Project.”

“I think both speak to different areas of the human condition,” said UNC junior Byron Frazelle, who is co-directing “The Love Project” with sophomore Catherine Shocket.

Shocket said she wants viewers to connect with “The Love Project.”

“I hope the people who come see ‘The Love Project’ are moved in emotional ways, and I also hope that they have a good time and laugh and enjoy themselves,” she said.

UNC freshman Alex LaGrand submitted a piece for “The Love Project” and found the writing process enlightening from an emotional perspective.

“I kind of just sat down and wrote about all these emotions that had been within me for so long, and it was just very releasing when I was able to finally put that down on paper and get it out,” she said.

“Me Too Monologues” will be held Feb. 7 and 8, and “The Love Project” will be held in late February or early March.