Varsity Theatre campaigns to stay open through digital changeover

Paul Shareshian, owner of the Varsity Theatre, is hoping to raise $50,000 by Feb. 15 with a Kickstarter fundraiser to upgrade its film projection system.

“I actually went on my first date with my wife at the Varsity,” said Funk, the assistant director of the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership. “We saw ‘Inception’ and we sat in the front row because it was completely full.”

But the Varsity won’t play host to any more first dates if it fails to raise $50,000 by Feb. 15 and upgrade its existing film projection system to the industry standard of digital projection.

The Varsity is an independent sub-run movie theater — for discounted prices, it shows movies after they leave major theater chains.

The theater has historic roots in Chapel Hill. Built in 1927, it was originally the Carolina Theater before it became the Village Theater and then the Varsity.

Paul Shareshian, owner of the Varsity, said it’s been difficult to get new movies during the past year because the film industry is turning away from 35-millimeter film and sending movies via hard drive instead.

“The main reason that the industry switched from 35-millimeter film to digital is because it costs them a tenth of the price to ship the film,” Shareshian said. “With a hard drive, you can use them over and over again. When you print 35-millimeter film, you can’t use it again. It’s basically garbage.”

Major movie theater franchises received subsidies to offset the costs of upgrading their projection systems to show digital movies. But many small independent theaters like the Varsity don’t bring in enough business to qualify for the discount, and some have been forced to close their doors.

When Funk learned that the Varsity faced the possibility of going dark, he sprang into action.

Working with Shareshian, Funk launched an online Kickstarter campaign, titled “The Varsity Theatre — Go Digital or Go Dark.” The fundraiser went live in mid-December and has already raised more than $39,000.

“It shows the amazing amount of community support the Varsity has and how much people care about having an independent small theater in our downtown,” Funk said.

UNC alumnus Alex Norton, who graduated in 2014, said the Varsity is a centerpiece of Franklin Street. He remembers watching “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” at the theater.

“It came to the Varsity right after it was out of the bigger theaters, which was good timing because you always say you want to go see that movie when it’s in theaters, but you don’t always have time or want to pay $15,” Norton said.

“When it came to the Varsity, it was a lot more convenient, better pricing, and I got to drink wine while I was watching it, which was the perfect experience.”

But the Varsity isn’t just beloved by movie-goers. Justin Simmons is a pastor with Love Chapel Hill, a local church that has held a Sunday service at the Varsity since 2009.

He said the theater’s multifaceted nature has made it a resource the community can’t afford to lose.

“This is such a special place — people have been married there, there have been memorial services there,” Simmons said. “We want to continue that on and make it something future generations can experience.”