Varsity Theatre reaches its $50,000 fundraising goal

Paul Shareshian, owner of the Varsity Theatre, uses a film projector. The Varsity reached its fundraising goal and will be converting to digital.

The Varsity successfully raised the $50,000 needed to convert the smaller of its two theaters to the industry standard of digital projection with three weeks to spare in their online Kickstarter campaign.

The Varsity launched the online fundraiser in mid-December, announcing that if it failed to raise the $50,000 needed to upgrade its projection system, the theater would be forced to close.

“It’s a testament to how much this means to the community,” said Bobby Funk, assistant director of the Chapel Hill Downtown Partnership and founder of the Kickstarter campaign. “There’s a lot of community support here for the things that the community loves.”

Though the theater raised the funds in less than a month, theater owner Paul Shareshian said the fundraiser isn’t over yet.

“Since we hit the goal, it’s kind of been flat — but we still want to get the word out,” he said. “If you’d like to contribute, we’re still looking to upgrade the other (theater) also.”

The online fundraiser ends on Feb. 15 — any donations exceeding the $50,000 goal will go toward upgrading the other theater inside the Varsity.

Very few movies are still produced on film today. The movie industry has begun distributing movies on hard drives instead. Large theater franchises received subsidies to offset the cost of switching to digital projection systems compatible with these hard drives, while small independent theaters, like the Varsity, have been forced to pay for the upgrade on their own.

Shareshian said the first theater should be converted to digital projection by March.

Katy Folk, a junior photojournalism major from Charlotte, donated to the campaign earlier this month. Folk said for the past two years, the Varsity has been a favorite date night location for her and her girlfriend.

“I felt compelled to act because the Varsity is such an iconic Chapel Hill place,” she said. “We very rarely have free or cheap transportation, so it’s a fantastic place because you can walk to it after dinner and because you really can’t beat $4 tickets.”

Shareshian hopes that the campaign can make strides toward raising the additional $50,000 needed for the second theater.

Until then, he remains thankful for the continued support from the community.

“Through emails and comments on the Kickstarter page, we’ve heard from people saying they’ve had their first date here or they’ve had memories from their childhood because they grew up in Chapel Hill,” Shareshian said.

“It means a lot.”