Column: Creating better spaces for conversations about race

The label of “Asian-American” fails to encapsulate the diversity of the groups it is supposed to represent. As a result, we have been represented as a monolithic group of quiet, hardworking people, which serves to keep us wedged somewhere between other groups of color.

Within the Asian-American community exist legitimate problems that are obvious because of the media: stereotyping, discrimination, the model minority myth, the fetishization of Asian women and the emasculation of Asian men.

And then there are the more complex problems that we might experience internally: the development of diasporic identities, the confusion that might come with being a first- or second-generation immigrant, divisions between immigrants and later generations, internalized racism and the range of socio-economic positions that aren’t visible when we’re all pushed under the umbrella of “model minority.”

Asian-American issues do not exist in isolation. Thinking about problems with race on campus as sets of problems assigned to different racial groups is overly simplistic.

That was a trap I fell into when I first started thinking about race. I could easily emphasize that I’m not your exotic, math-loving, submissive stereotypical Asian girl. But does that even address the root cause of racism, or does that just make me the exception to the “rule?” I failed to realize that racism toward me comes from the same racism that affects other people of color.

We have to recognize that racism among different racial groups is intrinsically linked. Let’s think back to the lawsuit that the Project on Fair Representation filed against UNC and Harvard University in November. The idea that Asians are unfairly discriminated against in admissions practices compared to black and Latino students creates a false idea of Asian “privilege.” This narrative is intentional and useful in dividing communities of color as it denies that racism exists in the first place.

I can’t offer any concrete solutions to this problem. But to be silent is to be complicit in this system. Taking the path of least resistance and tip-toeing around deeper discussions of race is convenient. We need to talk about race beyond the topic of “diversity,” because racial diversity on its own will not automatically solve any problems.

People of color on campus need to have these conversations in safe spaces. These spaces will probably not be provided for us, so we have to make and claim them for ourselves. Let’s talk about our experiences, interracial solidarity and build some coalitions. These conversations will not always be comfortable, but talking about race isn’t supposed to be.