Column: Tonight’s game against UVa. will reveal a lot about the Tar Heels

Daniel Wilco is a senior writer. He is a senior journalism major from Atlanta, Ga.

Tonight could have been huge. Undefeated Virginia heading into the Smith Center to take on North Carolina, a red-hot team on a seven-game winning streak. The No. 1 team in the ACC vs. the No. 2.

As with most things in life, Duke ruined that for us. And yes, Louisville had a hand in it as well.

But maybe that wasn’t a bad thing. Maybe it set up something greater.

Since falling to No. 1 Kentucky on Dec. 13, UNC is 11-2, and 2-2 against ranked teams. That’s good. It’s not great. No matter how they finish out, it’s pretty certain that the Tar Heels will have a good season. Tonight decides whether that will be all the history books have to say about this team.

An undefeated UVa. squad would have been a daunting matchup, but now it’s even more intimidating. The Hoos don’t lose — not this year. Saturday against Duke was a fluke, and that’s what they’re out to prove tonight.

If they were watching Saturday — and they were watching — they saw the cracks in UNC’s game widen against Louisville.

The Cardinals’ full-court press befuddled UNC, and it makes sense. North Carolina’s roster boasts five scholarship guards, and there’s not one completely healthy body among them.

Trying to break a press without guards is like Dickie V trying to call a game without talking about Duke. It might be possible, but it’s a hell of a lot harder, baby.

J.P. Tokoto had yet another game with more turnovers than assists, and, though it pains me to say it, I blame Gerry the Bear. Brice Johnson ended up fouling out for the third time this season.

But the most worrisome crack that showed Saturday was UNC’s inability to close out a game. With his team up by 18 points in the second half, Justin Coleman ­— the last member of this year’s Blue Steel, if you don’t count Desmond Hubert — should be eyeing the clock and hoping his parents are watching.

Do the Tar Heels have a contract with ESPN to keep games interesting until the last minute? I’m sure we could start a Kickstarter to fill that hole in the budget. Fans could contribute the loads of money they’ll save by not having to keep a cardiologist on call every time UNC faces a team that isn’t the Washington Generals.

Tonight could have been an epic showdown. Instead, it’s the ultimate test. Can the Tar Heels bounce back? Can they run with the big dogs?

We’re about to find out.