Column: Veterans need real support at home

Seth Rose is a senior political science major from Durham.

The run up to the Super Bowl showcases an annual re-up in the tight bond between the sports world and American troops abroad. Although the extreme pressure of the occasion brought the Seahawks and Patriots to blows Sunday night, the teams were aligned in their admiration of the troops.

Star safety Kam Chancellor offered thanks to the troops from the Seahawks and the 12th man, the moniker for Seattle’s rabid fan base.

Vince Wilfork, the all-too-big Patriots lineman, displayed humility in the midst of the media madness.

“Thank you for everything you guys do for us,” he said. “You guys are the true patriots. You are everything we want (to be), so thank you for all the service you guys provide for us.”

Tributes to the troops often come across like Wilfork’s — a genuine appreciation for the danger they put themselves through for this country.

Some of my more liberal friends may scoff at this ritual reverence, but I can get down with public support for the troops. But we don’t back up our words with action.

After Sunday’s game, I picked up a book my parents bought me for Chanukah, “Just Mercy,” by Bryan Stevenson. The book is full of rich stories about societal condemnation, but this passage stood out to me:

“By the mid-1980s, nearly 20 percent of the people in jails and prisons in the United States had served in the military. While the rate declined in the 1990s as the shadows cast by the Vietnam War began to recede, it has picked up again as a result of the military conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.”

According to the Department of Defense, 230,000 soldiers and veterans suffered traumatic brain injuries between 2001 and 2014 as a result of exposure to blasts. If history repeats itself, the difficulty of carrying this trauma back to civilian life will cause a lot of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans to end up homeless or incarcerated.

The first person executed in the nation this year, Andrew Brannan, was a decorated Vietnam veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder.

Promising new measures are being taken to address the state of veterans in the penal system.

Veterans Treatment Courts are opening across the nation, which pair court appearances with mentoring and treatment options. The Veterans Treatment Court advocacy group Justice for Vets claims these courts successfully prevent the over-incarceration of veterans. Two of these courts have opened in North Carolina already, and a third is planned to open in Durham.

Unfortunately, veterans treatment centers are only available to nonviolent and misdemeanor offenders. A 2004 study by the Department of Justice revealed that more than half of veterans in state prison were imprisoned for committing a violent offense.

New measures must be discovered to ensure Iraq and Afghanistan veterans are kept from falling into prisons. As it stands, we are too ready to support the troops in faraway lands, and too slow to help them at home.