Film room a familiar place for this year’s Tar Heels

Forward Brice Johnson will play in his fifth game against Duke tonight, which he calls "an honor." 

After winning six in a row, the Tar Heels have lost three of their last four games. There have been a lot of lessons hidden in those losses. A lot of lessons unearthed through film.

“We’ve probably showed this team more clips from games than any in the last three or four years at least,” said Coach Roy Williams.

It’s games like Saturday’s at Pittsburgh that keep the team in the film room for hours on end. For the fans, watching the game once was enough. Their team has been on the wrong end of upsets too many times for their liking.

The No. 15 Tar Heels (18-7, 8-4 ACC) can’t shy their eyes though. They need to see it.

“I was not alarmed,” Williams said. “I didn’t go off the deep end throwing chairs or anything like that. It was more of matter-of-factly that we’ve got to play better. But when I showed them yesterday the tape, I showed them some good plays. There just weren’t enough of them.”

The film session is a necessary evil for the next game’s preparation, but for UNC’s current roster, film study for tonight’s game against No. 4 Duke (22-3, 9-3 ACC) has been going on for quite some time.

“I was a Carolina fan growing up. I watched quite a bit of those games,” said junior forward Brice Johnson. “One that always stuck out was the one time when Tyler (Hansbrough) got elbowed in the face here. That really set the tone. It was like, ‘Woah, this game is really serious.’

“It’s an honor to be playing in this game.”

Junior guard Marcus Paige watched them too. He was a Raymond Felton fan, a Sean May fan, and yes, he admits, a Jay Williams fan, but he always cheered for North Carolina.

And now that he’s playing in the game for the fifth time, he realizes what the rivalry is truly about.

“I think that’s what makes this rivalry so special is the mutual respect,” he said. “Obviously I’m not a huge Duke fan. I don’t love them. But I really respect them and I think that’s the common theme in the rivalry.”

Roy Williams agreed. He had just learned about the Duke4Dean T-shirts that will be handed out at Cameron Indoor tonight, a tribute to the late Dean Smith by his bitter rivals.

“This is a big time rivalry, but it doesn’t have to be hatred,” he said. “You can still have a great rivalry.”

But for the Tar Heels to avoid another dismal film-room session, they’ll need more than respect in Durham tonight. They’ll need more than a great rivalry. They’ll need a great win.