Goat Parade raised $13K for Seymour Center from sale of decorated goats

With the help of ten fiberglass goats, the Robert and Pearl Seymour Center became a few thousand dollars richer. 

The Robert and Pearl Seymour Center received $13,650 in donations. The money was raised during the Goat Parade from the Galloway Ridge Retirement Center.

Pat Richardson, spokeswoman for the Galloway Center, presented the check to the Friends of the Robert and Pearl Seymour Center on Wednesday.

This was only half of the total proceeds from the goat parade — the other half was donated to the Chatham County Council on Aging, forming a total net profit of $27,300 from the fundraiser. 

The Goat Parade was a fundraiser consisting of 10 life-size fiberglass goats placed around Chapel Hill and Carrboro. The goats were displayed in locations like Julian's and University Florist on Franklin Street and were later actioned off at a gala on Nov. 4.

With $27,300 raised, Richardson said the event was more successful than expected, as the original goal was $10,000.

The goal for the Goat Parade was to raise awareness and advocacy for the center, a goal that has been met in terms of both the monetary success of the fundraiser and the enthusiastic support from the community.  

Kathie Reeves, co-chair of the Goat Parade Committee, said the goats were auctioned off for final bids ranging from $950 to $1,350, with about 240 people in attendance at the gala.

"The community response was fantastic," Reeves said.

Janice Tyler, director of the Orange County Department on Aging said the Friends committee will use the money for services and programming above and beyond what the county budget provides. One such program is the caregivers' day off, which allows caregivers to have an afternoon to themselves once a week.

Ann Holtzman, Chapel Hill resident and a member of the Goat Parade Committee, said she bought two of the goats at the gala and liked how the design of the goats reflect the community.

"Many of the designs are indicative of the area," Holtzman said. "I have one inside my house as well as one outside."

Angie Lerner, a Friends board member, said participants demonstrated community involvement and enthusiasim throughout the Goat Parade fundraiser.

"It was a visual of the energy put into the Seymour Center," she said.

Richardson said the Galloway center will not head up the event again next year but will offer full support to the Seymour Center in as many ways as possible.