Sigma Sigma Sigma bringing extra cheer to campus during Week of Kindness

The Sigma Sigma Sigma members Morgan Van Den Eynde (right), freshman in Pre-business from Marietta, Georgia and Katie Turner, freshman in Health Management and Policy from Frederick, Maryland are handing out a card and a chocolate bar to a passerby.

This week, the sorority has planned Week of Kindness events, where they are handing out trinkets and treats to brighten the days of students passing by.

“We want to cheer up the dreary season of midterms,” said Sigma Sigma Sigma president Emma Hanmer.

Hanmer said she is overseeing the week, advising those running it directly.

They will be handing out items like pins, chocolate kisses and hand-warmers along with a collection of other trinkets and treats that they feel students will enjoy.

“We were looking for a big way to show the community we care,” Hanmer said.

The decision came from UNC’s chapter in an effort to figure out a way to show their love for what brings them together.

“We got together as a chapter and thought about what’s something that connects as a whole,” said Sigma Sigma Sigma member Tori Mitchell. “Our love for Carolina community, and this is giving back to that.”

Mitchell is in charge of the day-to-day activities and is spearheading the event.

Members will distribute gifts in classrooms and hold events such as a puppy date in the Pit Thursday and Friday.

“We’ve been really pleasantly surprised with how people have responded so far,” said Sigma Sigma Sigma membership recruitment director Caroline Vance.

Vance is in charge of organization of the Week Of Kindness and making sure there are volunteers for each day.

Not only is the group giving back to UNC students but also to the kids at the N.C. Children’s Hospital.

The Sigma Sigma Sigma Foundation specifically works with the Robbie Page Play Atrium at the Children’s Hospital.

Mitchell explained that the kids at the hospital play on the playground in the atrium, but when they go back to their rooms in the hospital, they don’t have anything to entertain them.

“We have craft kits to take from the playroom to their room,” Mitchell said.

The sorority has a picture frame cardboard cutout where students can take pictures of themselves and then post them to Instagram using the hashtag #TriSigmaWOK.

“Every picture you take in our frame, we donate a craft kit in your name,” Mitchell said.

The members want to give back to the community and not just make this a public relations event for Sigma Sigma Sigma, Vance said.

“It’s just about doing something out of the kindness of your heart.”