Student Congress passes resolution about Alert Carolina's timeliness

The group discussed the lack of notification of Tuesday's triple shooting

At an emergency meeting Friday, Student Congress questioned the timeliness of Alert Carolina’s notification of danger to students in response to Tuesday’s tragic shooting.

The shooting took the lives of Deah Shaddy Barakat, Yosur Mohammad Abu-Salha and Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha. Craig Steven Hicks was charged with three counts of first-degree murder and is being held without bail at Central Prison in Raleigh. 

“I heard from a lot of people who were upset about how Alert Carolina handled the situation,” said Peter McClelland, speaker pro-tempore of student congress.

McClelland introduced a resolution calling for answers in regards to the delay in email notification and the absence of text notification, he said.

“To my knowledge, there are some students that didn’t get this information at all, until it was on the news,” said Ivy Hardy, speaker of student congress.

Hardy said it was important to call the emergency meeting to discuss this issue.

“We felt that it was our job as representatives of the student body to hold this meeting as soon as possible,” she said.

McClelland also introduced a resolution to send official condolences to the families of the victims.

“This was the main reason I wanted to call this emergency meeting,” McClelland said.

Both resolutions passed without opposition.

Student Body President Andrew Powell also attended the meeting.

Powell said he is looking for ways honor the victims and make their memories live on for years to come. He asked that Student Congress discuss ways to honor the victims as well.

“A lot of people on campus are trying to think of the best way to honor Deah, Yusor and Razan,” he said.

McClelland emphasized the importance of calling the emergency meeting.

“It’s meant for tragedies like this where quick action is needed,” McClelland said.

“I think it’s a disservice to students not to start this conversation.”