CUAB spring concert sells out

The box office sold 1,800 tickets to the concert over the course of 4 days.

Well$, a hip-hop hop artist from Charlotte, will be opening for Rae Sremmurd at the sold-out CUAB spring concert. (Courtesy of Mike Tambashe)

Tickets for UNC students went on sale at midnight on Tuesday, March 24, and sold out by 6 p.m. on Friday, March 27. The box office for non-students that was supposed to open on March 31 never went to sale.

Senior Austin Webster, a member of CUAB and one of the managers of the spring concert, said the concert allowed for 2,000 tickets.

The ticket cap was set by the Union box office. Safety concerns prevented CUAB from being able to sell more tickets, Webster said.

“We sold 1,800 (tickets),” Webster said. “The other 200 tickets were reserved for the artist’s guests, volunteers helping with the event and CUAB members.”

The concert, called Jubilee!, will feature hip-hop duo Rae Sremmurd and local hip-hop artist Well$. It will be held on Hooker Fields.

“I think this time we chose the right artists at the right time,” Webster said.

Rae Sremmurd had two hit singles released in 2014 — “No Type” and “No Flex Zone.”

Opening act Well$, who is from Charlotte, is a hip-hop artist on the rise and is one of the candidates for music magazine XXL’s freshmen of the year list.

Sophomore Jonathan Lynn said he bought his tickets the day they went on sale.

“I am very interested in hearing the artists live and hanging out with my friends,” Lynn said.

Lynn also said he was happy with the decision of buying tickets when he did since they are now sold out.

Freshman Davis Rhodes said he isn’t going and mentioned that he had never heard about the event.

“I didn’t even know it sold out,” Rhodes said.

Webster and the rest of the Jubilee! committee said they are planning giveaways for any of the 200 tickets that are left over.

“We would have liked to sell everyone a ticket who wanted one,” Webster said.

Freshman Campbell Cooper said she also is not going to the spring concert, citing a lack of awareness similar to Rhodes.

“I never even heard of it,” Cooper said when hearing about the upcoming concert.

The Facebook event that CUAB created for Jubilee! had over 2000 RSVPs, with 1,900 more who were invited and never responded — more respondents than CUAB had allotted tickets for.

“A lot of students were excited just for the opportunity to see (Rae Sremmurd) perform,” Webster said. “But the cheap tickets further grabbed students’ attention.”

Jubilee! will take place on April 11 at Hooker Fields from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.