NC State administrators, students react to 'troubling' fraternity book

The school’s Pi Kappa Phi fraternity has been suspended.

The university’s Interfraternity Council also suspended all N.C. State fraternity activities involving alcohol Friday until further notice. The council said in a statement that it will help refocus the Greek community on the behavioral standards they are supposed to uphold.

The council, in conjunction with the university’s administrators, has plans to issue additional training to students in areas like diversity, inclusion and social justice.

Photos of the book’s contents posted by WRAL revealed comments such as “Dude if she’s hot enough, doesn’t need a pulse.”

Mike Mullen, N.C. State’s vice chancellor, who described the notebook’s contents as “deeply troubling,” said in a statement these changes are necessary to ensure that the Greek system exceeds the council’s standards.

Pi Kappa Phi’s national organization called the language in the book “reprehensible and unacceptable” and has sent staff to Raleigh to participate in the ongoing investigation by the university.

The N.C. State incident is one of several recent situations to make the news involving fraternities nationwide. It comes just two weeks after the viral spread of a video documenting a racist chant that had connections to the University of Oklahoma’s Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter and led to the fraternity’s dismissal from the university.

Since Thursday night, the Twitter and Facebook pages for N.C. State’s Pi Kappa Phi have been deleted, and its website no longer lists members’ names. The chapter’s phone is also no longer in service.

Justine Schnitzler, a sophomore at N.C. State, said people on campus weren’t necessarily surprised a fraternity scandal occurred, but students have been shocked by the content of the messages. Still, Schnitzler said the situation probably won’t have tremendous effects on the Greek community.

“As far as the negative opinion goes, people obviously are still pledging them, they have very high retention rates and the (number) of students is comparable to the (number) of students you would see at UNC,” Schnitzler said. “But with that being said, I do believe more people are aware of there being issues going on, especially legally.”

As far as the supposed cover-up is concerned, Schnitzler also said she noticed the names of the brothers were deleted from the Pi Kappa Phi website.

Jake House, an N.C. State junior, said people often blow situations like this out of proportion. He said he expects that the book probably wasn’t meant to be taken seriously.

“There’s plenty of good fraternities out there,” House said. “I feel like people, unfortunately, focus on the negatives more than the positives.”