Column: A listicle for the aspiring traveler

The Street Scene Teen Center is hosting a "huge poster sale" until Friday. The sale benefits the center.

Studying abroad is an opportunity to explore new lands, meet new people and write a blog that only your parents will read.

For some, making the decision to miss a football or basketball season and spend a semester away from UNC is difficult. They don’t want to miss out on the time spent on the quad, nights on the porch at Top of the Hill and inside jokes they won’t understand once they return.

But stand up to your fear of missing out because studying abroad is one of the best decisions you can make in college. It’s the chance to literally get lost while searching for Wi-Fi, spend money that you definitely don’t have and get an article all about it published on Thought Catalog. If you’re trying to talk your parents into letting you travel across an ocean or two, here are a few selling points.

You’ll learn something new every day. Some days it may be as small as figuring out how the bus system works and which bus driver is constantly humming “Sexual Healing” by Marvin Gaye. Other days, you may learn how extroverted you truly are, or in my case, are not. At the end of a long day of being a new person, all I’d want to do is curl up with the third season of “Orange is the New Black.” And yes, you are still allowed to watch Netflix when you study abroad if you’re willing to jump through a few high-tech hoops.

You’ll figure out who you are without your comfort zone. On campus, you can identify yourself by the organizations you’re involved in, friend groups you run with and titles you hold. When you’re on your own, you learn things about yourself — for instance, that old people really gravitate towards you, you get annoyed when people squeal about cute dogs and that you really can navigate a foreign city on your own.

The world will seem smaller. If you choose to study abroad in Ireland, don’t worry. Every time you enter a pub with live music, “Wagon Wheel” will be performed at least once. And scream-singing “If I die in Raleigh/At least I will die free!” from across an ocean feels so much more satisfying.

Because traveling without your parents — finally — is THE BEST. Sorry Mom and Dad, but instead of waking up at 9 a.m. to travel three hours to some old ruins, I’m going get up at noon, go to a free comedy show and watch “Stand By Me” in a park on a giant projection screen.

You’re not on their schedule, there are no leashes and there are (probably) no fanny packs and Hawaiian shirts. (Wait, was I the only one on a leash as a child?)

You’ll have so much space to explore, new foods to try and experiences to have. Go out in search of goose bumps, and sure enough, you’ll find a gorgeous mountain peak, a much better Irish version of Panera Bread, or even an old man named Neil who will give you advice on what to do with your life.

But coming back might be the best part. Studying abroad makes cheese fries, chicken biscuits and Blueberry Wheats taste that much better once you return to the Hill.