Column: Do activities that broaden your view

As someone who spent his first 14 years in the state of North Carolina, I am intensely proud of this state and this University’s place in the history of American higher education. I was so proud that when I moved abroad, I wouldn’t shut up about it, causing my friends to nickname me “Banjo.”

Despite my enthusiasm for anything UNC-related, I can’t help but feel disappointed by our campus’ lack of concern for perspectives that fall outside of our own purview.

Given the University’s status as a public school, it clearly has an obligation to serve the citizens of North Carolina. But global awareness and public service should not be mutually exclusive. The reality is that the world is becoming increasingly interconnected, and as a result the ability to not only handle but also thrive in a culturally heterogeneous workplace is more vital than ever.

If UNC is to continue producing leaders prepared for the challenges they will face after graduation, it should require its students to address views that transcend their own culture.

We do have a variety of programs, like study abroad, that promise to do just that, but these are not options for all students for a variety of reasons, ranging from financial to academic. If the problem is to truly be solved, it must be with a solution that includes every student accepted into our University.

The first step to solving this problem is to acknowledge that it is one. The process of stepping out of our cultural comfort zone is too important to ignore, even if it involves getting called “Banjo” every once in a while.