Ferguson documentary to air at Stone Center

“Ferguson: A Report from Occupied Territory,” co-produced by Katina Parker, investigates race issues.Photo courtesy of Orlando de Guzman.

“Ferguson: A Report from Occupied Territory,” co-produced by Katina Parker, investigates race issues.

Photo courtesy of Orlando de Guzman.

The Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History is screening the documentary “Ferguson: A Report from Occupied Territory” in an effort to continue open conversation about social justice issues on and around campus.

“It’s a conversation starter,” said Patricia Parker, associate professor of communication studies and director of faculty diversity initiatives for the College of Arts and Sciences at UNC. “It’s something that has been in the national and international consciousness and certainly in the public conversation.”

Patricia Parker said the documentary provides a new angle about popular issues surrounding race, diversity, inclusion and equity. It also has commentary from people who have been the voices of Ferguson in the movement.

Tae Brown, sophomore and co-director of outreach at the Campus Y, said the screening is a safe space for students to learn more about the issue and get answers.

“Events such as the Ferguson documentary screening are a great opportunity to have questions answered and to actually receive hard, cold facts,” Brown said.

Brown said the Campus Y is co-sponsoring the documentary screening because it aligns with the social justice issues that the organization stands for.

The documentary screening is co-sponsored by several other University departments and organizations including the Department of Communication Studies and the Institute of African American Research.

Katina Parker, co-producer of the documentary, said she has been documenting African-American-led protests for the last 20 years.

“It’s what I was born to do,” Katina Parker said. “Before I was shooting cameras, I was writing when I was 2 or 3 years old.”

Orlando de Guzman, director and co-producer of the documentary, asked Katina Parker to be a part of the process, and she said the social justice issue fell in line with her work.

Katina Parker said issues of race-based, sanctioned violence are everywhere, and it’s her goal to make more people aware. Katina Parker will be available for a question and answer session following the showing of the documentary.

“It’s a topic that I think people should be discussing everywhere because it challenges us to get out of our comfort zone,” Katina Parker said.

Katina Parker said she hopes the film will cause viewers to question the state and police and create change around the answers to those questions.

“It gives context of how people every day deal with oppression — we don’t really see how it impacts the every day,” Patricia Parker said.

“I think that’s something this film shows very well.”