NC bill would require body cameras for most police officers

House Bill 537 would require the majority of law enforcement officers to use body cameras during interactions with the public. The bill would provide $1 for every $5 departments spend on purchasing cameras and retaining the recordings.

A recent yearlong study completed by the Police Foundation, a think tank, found body-worn cameras reduced the amount of force police officers used by 50 percent and led to nearly 10 times fewer citizens’ complaints.

“The body-worn camera is a technology that has found its time,” said Rep. Edward Hanes Jr., a Democrat from Forsyth County and a primary sponsor of the bill, in an email.

Hanes said they have seen strong support from individual police departments and have been seeking support from the N.C. Sheriffs’ Association and the N.C. Law Enforcement Officers Association.

“The costs associated with storage are staggering. We’re just trying to protect these relationships through camera implementation and provide some financial assistance along the way,” Hanes said.

Earlier this year, UNC approved a $60,000 request for DPS to purchase the new cameras.

Randy Young, spokesman for DPS, said the department has been looking at body cameras since spring 2013.

“We have had dashboard cameras — body cameras are just an extension and enhance our record-keeping abilities. They increase accountability and transparency, and are effective for preserving evidence,” Young said.

Support for the N.C. bill is cut largely down party lines, Hanes said — despite public opinion surveys showing more than 70 percent of the general public supports body-worn cameras.

“Generally we think police-worn body cameras can be a win-win for community and law enforcement. It just depends on how they are being used,” said Sarah Preston, policy director of the American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina.

She said officers should not be allowed to edit the video on the fly, nor should they be able to activate the camera themselves. Anyone subject to the recording should also be able to watch it on request.

“Policies should be publicly posted and the public should be informed they are subject to recording by law enforcement,” Preston said.

Josh Mecimore, spokesman for the Chapel Hill Police Department, said the department has tested several body camera models and are currently waiting on another model.

The department already has cameras on all of their patrol cars. Mecimore said the body cameras would make it easier to identify training needs and investigate complaints about officers.

Officer privacy and regulations on camera usage could be disadvantages of the cameras, he said.

But Mecimore said he sees a need for cameras for officers who don’t work in a vehicle — such as in the downtown unit, where police are often on foot or bicycle.

“The expectation is that officers will behave like they are expected to whether there is a camera there or not,” Mecimore said.

Hanes, the lawmaker, said increased use of body cameras will improve the relationship between civilians and police.

“Thankfully we haven’t had a publicly known incident that rises to the level of what we saw in North Charleston. Implementation of this bill may very well save us from that terrible end,” Hanes said.