State will represent UNC against housekeeper

“At the end of the day, it’s just retaliation,” said sophomore Richard Lindayen, a co-chairman for Student Action with Workers.

Former zone manager Clifton Leon Webb sued the University last week, saying he was dismissed from his position in the housekeeping department for blowing the whistle on the former director Bill Burston’s sex-for-hire practices.

According to Webb’s suit, Webb spoke to the University’s ombudsperson Wayne Blair approximately 12 times between 2007 and 2011 to discuss Burston’s sex-for-hire practices.

Olivia Abrecht, a senior involved with Student Action with Workers, said the grievance process employees are required to go through can dissuade employees from filing a grievance in the first place.

She said the process involves a hearing between the person filing the grievance and the manager.

“It must be the most intimidating procedure,” she said.

The lawsuit was filed against the University — it specifically named Darius Dixon, the current director of housekeeping services; Gena Carter, the interim senior director of employee and management relations; and Ben Triplett, the current assistant director of housing.

The suit says Webb agreed to testify against Burston in a 2012 grievance hearing after an outside consulting group’s report on UNC’s housekeeping department. Webb did express concern over retaliation for his testimony. Then-associate vice chancellor for facility services, Carolyn Elfland, assured Webb he would not lose his job.

“Dixon agreed to assist other Defendants in artificially ‘building a case’ against (Webb) for the pretextual purpose of dismissing his employment without just cause,” the suit reads.

Dixon and Carter declined to comment for the story.

Jim Gregory, a spokesman for the University, said the North Carolina Attorney General’s office will represent the University. J. Heydt Philbeck, the Raleigh-based lawyer who represented former athletic learning specialist Mary Willingham in her lawsuit that wrapped up earlier this year will represent Webb.

The suit details various reassignments until Webb was fired in January 2014.

Charles Streeter, chairman of the Employee Forum, said he was unaware of any issues affecting housekeepers.

“I don’t know of any issue pertaining to staff that we have not discussed at this point,” he said.