Student hit by bus on South Campus

On Thursday afternoon, a person in a wheelchair was hit by a bus at the intersection of Skipper Bowles Road and Manning Drive, by Craige Residence Hall on South Campus. 

Randy Young, spokesman for UNC Department of Public Safety, confirmed the person was struck by a bus and taken to UNC Hospitals. 

Young said the person was alert and conscious.

The bus was making a left turn onto Manning Drive, coming up the hill from the direction of the Dean E. Smith Center.

Three drivers stopped their cars in the street to help the injured individual.

Some bystanders watched over the individual, who was on the ground next to the wheelchair, and tried to look out for oncoming cars.

It was initially unclear whether the person was conscious.

A crowd of bystanders gathered on the street and watched as ambulances, police cars and a firetruck arrived at the scene.

“Everyone knew that something happened right now, just within the past couple minutes,” said Nitin Goel, who came to the scene after seeing it from his dorm room window.  

Representatives from Chapel Hill Transit were also present at the scene. 

Police spray-painted the location of the bus and the wheelchair on the street, as first responders took care of the person and transported the individual onto a stretcher and then to an ambulance.

Students on the street began speculating as to what happened.

“Lots of people were saying that he actually got hit by the bus and they had to pull him out, I’m not quite sure if that’s what happened,” said Karoline White, a bystander. 

The crowd eventually dispersed, but a few police officers and Chapel Hill Transit representatives were still present.

The individual's name is still unknown.

The Daily Tar Heel will continue to update the story when more information is made available.