‘Trainwreck’ comes early to UNC

This showing of ‘Trainwreck’ is particularly special because it is being shown exceptionally early. It’s just really exciting,” said Paul Shareshian, owner of Franklin Street’s Varsity Theatre.

“Trainwreck,” starring comedians Amy Schumer and Bill Hader, is set to hit theaters July 17.

Junior Mariah Barksdale said she is excited to see the movie and is thrilled that a community business is interacting with students.

“I think it’s so cool that the Varsity is really reaching out to what we, as college students, want to see,” Barksdale said.

The free showing is already receiving positive feedback, Shareshian said, which includes the admiration of Barksdale and her friends.

“Immediately when I saw the trailer for the hilarious ‘Trainwreck’ with Amy Schumer and my love, Bill Hader, I just knew I had to make a trip out to Southpoint to see it,” Barksdale said in an email. “Then I saw it on Facebook, almost immediately, that they were offering it at the Varsity.”

Senior Jordan Archer is the UNC contact for the school’s partnership with NBC Universal and helped to organize the showing.

Archer said the screenings were originally scheduled to take place in the Student Union, but technical difficulties with the projectors prompted him to seek other venues. So he turned to the Varsity Theatre.

“Due to its proximity to campus, we contacted the Varsity, and it’s been a perfect match,” Archer said. “They recently upgraded their projectors, which made the showings even better.”

After the films, students are given questionnaires that provide feedback for NBC Universal. It also gives students the chance to reflect on their experiences with the movie. Archer said these questionnaires, along with the ability to tweet reactions to the films, create a sense of community.

“It’s also great that UNC students get the privilege of being a part of a select group of individuals who have seen a film well before the general public,” Archer said.

Shareshian said he is happy to help give students the opportunity to see new, features they can relate to.

“The movies they pick cater towards college audiences,” Shareshian said. “For example, two weeks ago we did ‘Unfriended’ — sort of a horror film — and now we are doing this comedy. It’s a good mix.”

Archer said he hopes to continue this mix of films to give students a peek at what’s to come — a goal that Barksdale said she appreciates.

“I think it’s stellar that the Varsity is helping to really plug into the demographic of Chapel Hill and is doing this for us,” Barksdale said.

Staff writer Ryan Schocket contributed reporting.