Former UNC Football player accused of violating NC sports agent law

Former UNC football player Chris Hawkins was arrested Monday morning on charges of violating North Carolina’s sports agent law. 

Hawkins, 32, made his preliminary court appearance Tuesday afternoon at the Orange County Court House. He is being held in Orange County Jail on $500,000 bond after sources identified Hawkins as a flight risk with connections in Florida. 

Hawkins faces two counts of trying to induce former UNC defensive end Robert Quinn, who now plays for the St. Louis Rams, to sign a contract with him in 2010. In exchange for signing the contract, Hawkins offered Quinn $13,700 in cash and another $1,700 for selling game-used equipment. Quinn later signed with a different agent. 

Hawkins is also charged with intentionally initiating contact with former UNC defensive back Jabari Price in 2013 without being a registered agent. Price now plays for the Minnesota Vikings. The report says he intentionally failed to register as an athlete agent despite reaching out to these players. 

Hawkins’ arrest is part of N.C. secretary of state's ongoing investigation into inappropriate benefits given to UNC football players. 

Under North Carolina’s sports agents law, agents are required to register with the secretary of state’s office and are not allowed to offer cash incentives or other benefits.