On View Near You for May 15

An update on local art galleries and museums

FRANK's 5th Annual Members' Spotlight 

FRANK's 5th Annual Members' Spotlight 

Ackland: Marcel Duchamp

Ackland Art Museum is currently showing one of their most exciting acquisitions in recent memory, said Emily Bowles, director of communications at the Ackland. The show, "Adding to the Mix 9: Marcel Duchamp's 'From or by Marcel Duchamp or Rrose Selavy,'" features a box that contains 80 of Duchamp's work in a miniature form. The miniaturized works range from paintings to sculptures and were created by Duchamp specifically to be shown in museum settings. 

"It’s really a masterpiece of 20th century art that we’re really proud to have," Bowles said. "It’s one of the seminal pieces of Marcel Duchamp, who is one of the pioneering artists of the 20th century — he pioneered conceptual art."

The scale of the piece allows for viewers to explore the work of the artist in an accessible space.

"Even if you don't know anything about Duchamp, its pretty interesting because its somebody's whole life work in one place," Bowles said. 

The free exhibition will be on view until June 7. 

FRANK: 5th Annual Members' Showcase

As a celebration of their fifth anniversary, the FRANK gallery is showcasing their 22 members in their annual members' showcase. As a collective gallery, the 22 member artists plan, run and work the gallery. 

"Once a year we dedicate an entire gallery to them — whatever they’re working on and really excited about," said Gallery Manager Torey Mishoe. "It’s mostly a way to showcase their work and give back for all that they do." 

Mishoe praises the show for not only representing the member artists but for representing the diversity of mediums and themes explored in the work.

"It’s a pretty wide range from photography to ceramics and sculpture and paintings," she said. "The show is always one of our most well received shows." 

The exhibition will run until June 7. 

LIGHT Art + Design: Butterflies are Free: Women in Photography

Opening May 15, "Butterflies are Free: Women in Photography" will explore the role of women as seen through the lenses of women themselves. Four local artists — Sarah Cioffoletti, Tama Hochbaum, Leah Sobsey and Barbara Tyroler — are coming together to showcase unique experiences, from an installation with 205 butterflies to a photo series featuring autistic children swimming. 

Gallery Manager Sarah Blaine said the inspiration from the exhibition came from the women themselves. 

"There are so many wonderful women photographers in the area, such a strong presence, that it really came together in that way," she said. "The owner (Cindy Spuria) is generally a big champion of women artists."  

Because the artists are local, ranging from a UNC class of 2014 graduate to an arts committee member at Preservation Chapel Hill, Blaine said she hopes the attendees come out to support their artists.

"All of these women live here in Chapel Hill, and its a great way to support the arts," she said. "It's amazing the strength of art in this area."