UNC women's lacrosse advances to Final Four with win against Penn State

Members of the women's lacrosse team celebrate after a victory against Penn State Saturday afternoon.

Just minutes into the second half, the North Carolina women’s lacrosse team was in unfamiliar territory.

The score stood at 8-4 after another Penn State shot shook the back netting — another goal added to a 7-1 Nittany Lion run. The No. 2 Tar Heels faced a four-goal deficit, tying their biggest of the season. 

With Penn State undefeated when leading at halftime, and UNC 0-3 when tied or trailing at halftime, the task ahead seemed a daunting one, even with a crowd of hopeful fans cheering them on at Fetzer Field. 

“We had to dig deep today,” Coach Jenny Levy said. “Our goalies weren’t doing what they normally do, so we had to problem-solve.” 

The Tar Heels did more than problem-solve after digging themselves into a tricky situation — they dominated on their way to an 11-8 victory. 

But the greatest contribution didn’t come from defensive checks or lights-out shooting.

The Tar Heels would need extra possessions to mount a comeback, and junior Sammy Jo Tracy delivered. Taking every one, Tracy led her team to a commanding 8-1 advantage on draw controls in the second half — the fuel to the Tar Heels’ 7-0 run to finish the game.

“Every single draw we were so focused and so keyed in that that ball was ours,” senior Margaret Corzel said. 

Followed by patient offense, Tracy’s dominance at the draw control provided the spark her Tar Heels needed to power past the Nittany Lions.

But Tracy’s dominance was no coincidence.

“She probably goes to sleep thinking about (draw controls),” Levy said, “She’s completely committed to being the best that she can be, and that’s why she’s so good at it.” 

The draw control wasn’t the only area the Tar Heels would dominate in the second half. The team was reborn after halftime, despite giving up the first goal of the half.

Patient offense and smart defense helped the team settle down and begin their charge back in hopes of earning a fifth Final Four appearance in just seven years. 

UNC would give up just four fouls in the second half compared to 17 given up in the first — keeping the momentum flowing its way. 

After being afforded extra possession after extra possession, the team relied on its halftime awakening to give them the poise and drive they needed.

“It’s win or go home,” sophomore Sydney Holman said, “And I think that at halftime we really realized that.” 

With a crushing 10-9 loss to Virginia in last year’s NCAA quarterfinals still fresh in their minds, the UNC players’ will to win played a major role in a comeback they won’t soon forget. 

“Knowing the feeling of losing and not making it to a final four was a huge motivator for us today,” Corzel said.

For the Tar Heels, the win means their eighth final four appearance in school history and another chance to reach the top of women’s college lacrosse. The team looks to add to their lone championship in 2013. 

If their dominant play continues, these Tar Heels may be well on their way to lifting the trophy again.