UNC has agreed in principle to extend Coach Roy Williams' contract to coach the North Carolina men's basketball team through 2020.

The coach, who is a member of the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, has won two national championships since joining UNC as head coach of the men's basketball team.

But Williams has become a figure of some controversy ever since it was revealed he led years of teams with athletes who used irregularly taught paper classes as grade point average boosters, though the instruction of irregularly taught classes went back as far back as 1989, before his tenure at UNC.

The men's basketball team went 26-12 in the 2014-15 season before losing to eventual national champion runners-up Wisconsin in the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA men's basketball tournament.

Williams' contract includes base pay ranging from $408,169 for the 2015-16 season to $595,409 for the 2019-20 season. His contract also includes deferred compensation ranging from $1,550,000 for the 2015-16 season to $1,750,000 in the 2019-20 season. The contract additionally includes bonus compensation for an assortment of possible accomplishments.

Williams will be 69 by the end of the 2019-20 season.

“I’ve said I want to coach another six to 10 years, so this contract takes me right to the edge of that, which is good,” Williams said in a statement.