Sometimes everything works out. And sometimes a literal misstep changes everything.

During my sophomore year, I was tired of not knowing what I wanted to do, so I decided to avoid, at all costs, what I perceived as “the real world.”

I applied to national parks, summer camps, anything to get me out of buildings and away from the constant chatter about the future, the business world, connections.

To my surprise, I got a job as a counselor at an adventure camp in the mountains, just across the North Carolina border into Virginia. A summer of paid backpacking, swimming, climbing and sharing my love of the outdoors with kids — the perfect plan.

But on a rainy Sunday in February, I made a last minute decision to go for a run on a trail in Cary rather than waiting until I returned to campus.

Approximately 3 miles into a 6-mile loop, I stepped awkwardly on a rock I didn’t see because of the leaves. And I went down, hard, my foot turning in and my body falling to the ground.

For awhile I thought it was just a sprain, and I didn’t question for a minute I would have to give up my counselor position. But the swelling — and the pain — remained for months, and I later learned I had a bone bruise on my talus, which, let me tell you, is a really bad place for a bone bruise. The talus fits where your leg meets your foot, meaning there is constant pressure on it when standing and walking. In April, I called the camp, explained the situation and gave up what I thought was going to be the most amazing summer. 

So in desperate need of a job and with few places hiring so close to summer, I texted a good friend from high school who had worked at the N.C. State University peanut lab, interviewed, got the job and braced myself for a long summer.

Was I excited about spending 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in a lab? Not really. I thought I’d be bored; I knew it was often hard labor. I figured I’d hear endless cracks at UNC. And I was right, in some ways.

But the peanut lab has taught me basic lessons we all need at this point in our lives. Everything in our lives is calculated through decisions so tiny we don’t even see it. Just because a dream job doesn’t work out, the world doesn’t end.

Through the lab I’ve made amazing friends, I’ve seen parts of North Carolina I didn’t even know existed. I’ll be published in a book next year. I can make homemade white chocolate peanut butter.

I spent so much time thinking about how nothing I did fit in at the peanut lab, how it wouldn’t help my future at all, how lame the job would be. But things didn’t get worse because of my injury; things simply changed. And mostly for the better.

We live in a society where everything is planned down to the minute, and in college, when everything is just getting started, it feels like any wrench in the plan can mix everything up until the plan doesn’t exist anymore.

Sometimes that happens, and most of the time it’s OK. And I am so thankful.