Carrboro residents split over proposed shopping center

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article incorrectly stated when the plan was approved. The Carrboro Board of Aldermen approved the plans on June 9. The story has been updated to reflect this change.

Carrboro residents are divided over plans for a new shopping center in town.

On June 9, the Carrboro Board of Aldermen unanimously approved the plans to place a new shopping center at 501 S. Greensboro St.

Alderman Bethany Chaney said the estimated time of completion for the project is now up to the developer and involves a series of complicated steps.

“We’ve approved a permit, and generally when we approve a permit, it’s for a specific time frame of two years,” Chaney said. “During that period of time the developer undergoes final planning processes, and depending on the complexity of the development, it can take quite some time to finalize plans.”

Chaney said one of the main reasons for the approval of this project is to increase the amount of economic activity in Carrboro.

“The Town of Carrboro made a commitment to dramatically expand the number of commercial space(s) in Carrboro, so the town and businesses can generate more economic activity and take some of the pressure off of residents who pay property taxes for keeping our town revenues working for us,” Chaney said.

Chaney said the most important reason for the approval of the project is to remove urban blight — which is abandoned old buildings. The proposed site contains an abandoned light manufacturing plant.

“This is a blighted piece of property that has been very troubled environmentally, has exacerbated some flooding issues we already have in town, and in general it’s an eyesore, a safety hazard and has been the site of criminal activity in the past,” Chaney said. “The opportunity to make a completely fallow piece of property into something that is productive is really important.”

Support for the shopping center is varied among nonresidents and residents of Carrboro.

Allie Pfeffer, a Durham resident, said she does not favor Carrboro adding more shopping and restaurant areas.

“I would imagine it’s probably not a good idea since it’s a residential area on that street,” Pfeffer said.

But Eric Daza, a Chapel Hill resident, feels the addition of a shopping center could benefit residents.

“It could be good for local industry, especially bringing in a lot of local business owners,” Daza said.

“I think it’s a good idea depending on what kind of shopping center it is and what the mission of the employers, developers and clientele is,” said Kathy Peck, a Carrboro resident.

Peck said that while the shopping center could benefit the town, the location could have the potential to disrupt traffic during the construction phase — especially during the school year.

“The town government has to depend on the patience of the citizens of the community while that construction is going on,” Peck said. “It’s almost like how the process of the construction goes is really how the business can pick up after that with the attitudes of the citizens.”

@shantangerine