Feel free with Carrboro's new signs

Courtesy of the town of Carrboro

Courtesy of the town of Carrboro

In efforts to better promote Carrboro’s mission statement of feeling free, the town is updating their signs.

The remodels will affect signage around Town Hall, Fire Station No. 1, Town Commons and other entryway locations. 

Leo Gaev of Leo Gaev Metalworks Inc. is responsible for the design and format of the new signs. 

The signs will be constructed out of both Corten steel and stainless steel. The signs will spell out Carrboro in the new font adopted by the town that plays on the geometric shapes of the town's name. 

“The two steels will create a nice contrast,” Gaev said. “The Corten steel will rust and weather over time while the stainless will stay shiny and bright.”

The signs will double as planters. Gaev said each one will be equipped with space to include shrubbery on top.

“The town provided me with the logo, and I developed the concept of the design and the idea to use it as a functional planter," he said.

The town's new logo was adopted by the Board of Alderman in 2013

Annette Stone, director of economic and community development for the town, said she thinks the signs embody the “feel free” logo of Carrboro. 

“The new brand was a very community-driven process,” she said.

Stone said the new look was encouraged by many people of the community, and she hopes to reinforce that with the new signage. She also mentioned how she wants residents to understand the reason for the current removal of signs in preparation for the new ones to be placed.

Carrboro resident Kristina Caltabiano said she thinks the current signs are already serving their purpose.

“I think they’re good as is —if they aren’t broke, don’t fix them," she said.

Kristen McGee, a resident of Hillsborough, said she also thinks the signs are fine as they are.

“I think there are better uses of money,” she said.

Gaev said he wants people to recognize that the signs are interactive and engaging.

“My hope is that people will see the signs and appreciate the fact that it's a combination of artistic and functional elements, and that it is interactive,” he said.

“It is a growing, living, breathing thing. It is unique in a way, like the town itself, and I hope the signs reflect that.” 

@kianamcole