IP3 celebrates 35 years of community

Students and members of the Chapel Hill community meet across the street from IP3 on Franklin Street. The block party celebrated 35 years of pizza.

Known as “IP3” to residents, the business celebrated its 35th anniversary Monday night with an outdoor block party in TOPO’s lot, across the street from IP3. The event lasted from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. and featured a DJ and free pizza.

IP3 is owned and operated by brothers Angelo and Vincenzo Marrone, who have run the business since 1980.

The restaurant is known for customers gathering to watch sporting events on its many televisions, whether it be UNC sports or the Italian national team; IP3 won Indy Week’s “Best Place to Watch International Soccer” consecutively from 2006 to 2013.

Customers at the event said Angelo and Vincenzo Marrone’s hospitality extends far beyond fresh food and a warm environment.

IP3 makes its pizza dough fresh daily and serves specialty pizzas, stromboli, sandwiches and other house specialties such as chicken cacciatore and ravioli alla napoli.

Tammy Knights was at the celebration with her children. She said she had just moved to the area two days ago and heard about the event through a friend.

“I haven’t eaten at the restaurant before, but the food here tonight was delicious,” she said.

Chapel Hill resident Bobby Huelle said he joined the party after passing by the events. He said he was shocked by the event organizers’ kindness.

“They didn’t turn a single person away,” he said.

“They welcomed everyone with open arms.”

Abbey Hughes, a Durham resident, said she’s eaten at the restaurant a few times, and though she loves all of the food, she said her favorite dish is the margherita pizza.

“Whenever I’m in the area and I’m craving pizza, I always make it a point to stop by the Italian Pizzeria,” she said.

Throughout the event, workers bustled back and forth between the restaurant and the party, carrying large pizzas on metal trays. Folks of all ages and backgrounds sat around the parking lot under a large tent, enjoying the food, the music and the free face-painting.

Event attendee Michael Ford said he’s eaten at the restaurant and was excited when he heard about the block party.

“IP3 is such a down-to-earth, fun place to eat pizza, drink beer and watch sports,” he said.

“This event is just a reflection of the generosity of the restaurant.”

Even as the party came to a close, IP3 continued to cook up pizzas for its guests, celebrating 35 years of eating pizza and watching sports.

@maggiemonsrud