On view near you for August 18, 2015

CORRECTION: Due to a reporting error, a quote previously attributed to Melinda Rittenhouse speaking on the permanent collection at Ackland Art Museum has been updated to reflect that Rittenhouse was speaking on the the newly opened exhibition, "Testing Testing: Painting and Sculpture since 1960 from the "Permanent Collection." Due to an additional reporting error, the free exhibit was originally reported as having opened on Aug. 11 of this year, when the exhibit opened Aug. 11, 2011; the story has been updated to reflect these changes. 

Ackland Art Museum: Highlights from the Permanent Collection

The Ackland Art Museum is showcasing a four-part presentation from their permanent collection.

“The Western Tradition” exhibit features various time periods, mediums and cultures. Featured in “Art from China and Japan,” “Art from Southern and Western Asia” and “African Art” are wooden sculptures, glazed stoneware and even a Liberian tribal mask that was created with a variety of mediums, including human hair.

“College students will enjoy the contemporary nature of the art (in Testing Testing: Painting and Sculpture since 1960 from the Permanent Collection),” said Melinda Rittenhouse, the Ackland Store’s assistant manager.

Many of the pieces are religious, featuring prominent figures in Hinduism and Buddhism.

“A lot of these things have never been on display before,” Rittenhouse said of the contemporary art in the newly opened exhibit. “It’s a fantastic exhibit.”

The free exhibit opened Aug. 11, 2011 and will remain open to the public until Jan. 3, 2016.

FRANK: Renaissance: A Book Arts Exhibition

The FRANK Gallery is currently presenting “Renaissance: A Book Arts Exhibition,” which opened Aug. 11.

The exhibition features North Carolina artists from the Triangle and Asheville, as well as artists from Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Most pieces are made from the materials of old books and reflect the artist’s personal view of renaissance or rebirth, like “Re: Retreat,” a collection of experiences from a silent meditation retreat.

“It’s an opportunity to engage with the art,” said gallery manager Torey Mishoe.

Many of these works can be physically handled. “Read a Poem. Record a Poem. Author a Poem” is a ceramic piece that allows visitors to arrange its many wooden trays — each with a miscellaneous word like “forest,” “lovely” or “yes” — to create an original poem.

“The creativity level is surprising, and I’m not surprised by art anymore,” Mishoe said.

The free exhibit will remain open until Sept. 6.

LIGHT Art + Design: 'Summer Show'

“OPENING: Summer Show” has been on display since July 17.

The exhibit has a wide-ranging display of sculptures, fiber work and other pieces that combine paper and natural elements like twigs and branches.

It also features oil paintings, like “Question with Circle in the Square,” by Chapel Hill artist Katherine Armacost.

“It’s a great gallery representing local artists in the area,” said Gallery Manager Sarah Blaine.

Other local artists include Beatrice Coron, Lynda Curry, Green Daniel, Dail Dixon, Marguerite Jay Gignoux, Harriet Hoover, Anne Lemanksi, Rachel Meginnes, Daniel Rickey, Leigh Suggs and John Webb.

Admission is free, and the “OPENING: Summer Show” will close Aug. 22.

@ryanschocketarts@dailytarheel.com