UNC defensive end Dajaun Drennon aims high with low number

Dajuan Drennon poses for a picture during interviews on Media Day on August, 12 in Kennan Stadium. Drennon was a redshirt freshman in 2014.

While most defensive linemen have jersey numbers in the 70s or 90s, Drennon has settled for No. 17 — a number most associated with skill players such as quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers.

“I’m skinny, so I don’t look like a D-lineman anyway,” Drennon said jokingly. “I wanted number eight, which I had in high school, but Coach (Larry) Fedora said no one could have single-digit numbers on the defensive line. So I just tried to pick the lowest number possible that was still available.”

Drennon said he plays with speed and finesse — two qualities often associated with a skill position. In 2014, he used his speed to notch 36 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss and two sacks, starting all 13 games in the process.

Defensive line coach Tray Scott said he has been impressed with Drennon’s attention to detail when learning fundamentals, such as being physical at the point of attack or collapsing the pocket.

But being an old-fashioned coach, Scott finds Drennon’s choice of jersey particularly odd.

“These days, these kids want to wear single digits. They want to be pretty boys,” Scott chuckled. “I love for them to play in big linemen numbers like 72 or 75.”

In the preseason, Drennon has been competing for a starting spot with redshirt junior defensive end Junior Gnonkonde. Scott said that the competition was close and that they’ve kept pressure on each other.

“He shows up every day, so it makes me practice harder,” Gnonkonde said. “I can’t let myself down, and he can’t either. We both have speed, and we both know the game.”

Even though speed and agility are his strengths, Drennon has worked to become more physical. Usually he comes off the ball using his shoulder, but now he has worked on using his hands and extending his arms to rebuff blockers.

The sophomore lineman added that starting every game in 2014 helped with learning technical adjustments and building his confidence.

“As a younger guy, sometimes you feel like you’re a liability,” he said. “But now with my experience, I feel more comfortable on the field.”

For the 2015 season, Drennon expects to improve his pass-rushing abilities, which include doubling his tackles for loss from a season ago and reaching double-digit sacks.

But even though he plans to be more physical, Drennon will still swiftly evade the opposition.

He has his number to live up to, after all.

“He might be big, but he plays like a skill guy and has a lot of speed,” Gnonkonde said.

“I think your number is the way you define yourself.”