UNC women's soccer continues hot start with pair of weekend wins

The Tar Heels shut out both the Texas Longhorns and the University of Texas at San Antonio this weekend in the Texas Invitational, increasing their 2015 season record to a perfect 4-0.

Defeating Texas 2-0 and UTSA 5-0, UNC has now outscored its opponents 17-0 in its first four games of the season.

In 2014, the Tar Heels scored only 28 goals during the regular season and finished the campaign with 31 total.

Seniors Summer Green and Alexa Newfield played key parts in UNC’s victories. They each scored two goals in Sunday’s definitive win over UTSA and both average at least a goal a game so far.

Newfield has now scored five goals in the Tar Heels’ four games, while Green has scored four goals of her own.

Sophomore Jessie Scarpa was denied a goal on Friday after Longhorn goalkeeper Abby Smith executed a brilliant save, knocking Scarpa’s header out of the way at the last minute.

Scarpa later scored her first career collegiate goal in the 72nd minute of Sunday’s match, marking the final goal of the weekend for the Tar Heels.

Quotable

“We were certainly stronger than both of the teams this weekend, but we also certainly have to work on finishing.” — Coach Anson Dorrance on his team’s performance against both opponents.

Notable

Three of the most famous alumni from the North Carolina women’s soccer program attended this weekend’s games.

Angela Kelly currently serves as the head coach of the Longhorns. She graduated from UNC in 1994.

Kristine Lilly, who played for the Tar Heels from 1989-92 and won the NCAA championship every year, and Mia Hamm, who also won four NCAA championships, were also in attendance.

Three numbers that matter

58: The number of shots the Tar Heels fired off during the course of the weekend.

7: The number of shots that actually made it to the back of the goal for UNC.

1: The number of goals the Tar Heels had scored at this same point in 2014.

What’s next?

The Tar Heels kick off the Nike Duke Classic when they take on California Friday at 5 p.m. in Durham.

@Kayleigh_Payne7