Zach Wright and Alan Winn look to fill offensive void for UNC men's soccer

CORRECTION: A former version of this article incorrectly identified sophomore forward Alan Winn in a headline. The headline has been updated to reflect this change. 

The four leading scorers from the No. 5 North Carolina men’s soccer team's 2014 campaign graduated in May, leaving a young cast to take over at the forward position. 

Two forwards Coach Carlos Somoano will look to in order to fill the void are sophomore roommates Zach Wright and Alan Winn.

Wright, who is from Smithville, Texas, appeared in 17 matches in 2014 but only put one goal into the back of the net for the Tar Heels, while Winn added three goals in 20 games during his freshman season. 

In Wednesday's exhibition win against Davidson, which was plagued by inclement weather, it was Wright who stood out during his 45 minutes of action.

Wright notched a goal, dished an assist and infuriated the Davidson goalkeeper with his relentless intensity. 

Seven minutes into the exhibition, Wright got tangled up with Davidson goalkeeper Matt Pacifici. After both returned to their feet, words were exchanged and tempers began to flare. But players from both teams helped deter anything else from happening. 

“I told him, ‘I just can’t wait to score on you,’” Wright said. “So I guess I got my revenge later on.”

Wright helped the Tar Heels get on the scoreboard moments later with a quick give-and-go to sophomore defender David October, who kicked the ball past the goalie.

The revenge Wright talked about also came in the form of a goal of his own in the 37th minute. The goal increased the Tar Heels' lead to 4-0 moments before the halftime whistle sounded.

Somoano said Wright brings a nice dynamic to the team in regards to his consistent effort while on the field.

“We call him an animal,” Somoano said. “He’s a fighter, and he’s always tuned in.”

Winn, who started the exhibition up top with Wright, said the competitive nature and chemistry from living together is often reflected in their performance.

“On and off the pitch, we’re just really good together,” Winn said.

Although Somoano was complimentary of the duo’s chemistry and intensity, he argued that the team’s overall rapport is even stronger.

“If you have been around this team for any period of time, you notice the great camaraderie these guys have," he said.

With big shoes to fill after losing its premier goal scorers from a season ago, Somoano looks for the team to fill the void rather than a handful of players.

“Players tend to have individual success when the team functions well,” Somoano said.

The Tar Heels might have lost some talent this offseason, but Wright and Winn will look to replenish the pool.  

@davidrallenjr