Black Student Movement, Carolina For The Kids connect with lawn performances

CLARIFICATION: The original version of this story misrepresented Megan Stanley's job title. She is a committee co-chair.

On Friday, SASB plaza was full of students enjoying music, sun and free pizza. 

The UNC Black Student Movement and Carolina For The Kids Foundation partnered to host their annual Culture on the Lawn event, which showcased a cappella and dance groups, giving students a preview of what they are working on for the semester. 

BSM's Triple Alliance Committee has been planning the event since August. Committee co-chair Megan Stanley said the main goal was to promote unity and diversity across the UNC community.  

“We really hone in on the diverse talents at UNC, and with it being located at SASB specifically, getting a wide range of students to come out,” Stanley said.

Tesarah Boyd, a co-chairwoman for Triple Alliance, talked about the importance of the event for students at UNC and how it really influences campus life. 

"This is my first year as a co-chair for Triple Alliance. We started planning this about the first or second week of school," Boyd said. "I definitely think it's visibility because UNC is so big and people don't really realize all that's out there for them."

Sophomore D’Shaun Cooper said he enjoyed the event and came out with his friends to see the previews. 

“It’s pretty cool groups out here, and they do really interesting stuff throughout the year, so I came out to support them and see what they had to offer," Cooper said. 

Meagan Barger, executive director of Carolina For The Kids, said there has been a long-standing relationship between BSM and CFTK. 

“This is something that we have been doing for several years now,” Barger said. “It’s really great to get out in the community and interact with a bunch of people, and we do a bunch of different things, so it’s good to have our face out here.”

BSM President Jeremy Mckellar said it is a great event to expose freshmen to what BSM and CFTK are all about. 

“We want to continue to build on this relationship however we can, supporting them and them supporting us," he said. 

"It’s a great opportunity for people to learn about BSM because we want everyone to be a part of black culture and to experience it and be exposed to it, and also to be a part of Carolina For The Kids, giving back to the students at the children’s hospital.”