Deah Day remembers Deah Barakat and Yusor Abu-Salha's commitment to service

Namee Barakat, Deah's father, applauds the work of the dental students on Deah Day. Over 350 students participated in community service in honor of Deah Barakat. 

The first annual "Deah Day" was celebrated by the dental school on Thursday. Over 350 dental students spent their mornings doing community service in different locations around Chapel Hill. Students gathered at 2 p.m. to hear various speakers, including Deah's father.
Namee Barakat, Deah's father, applauds the work of the dental students on Deah Day. Over 350 students participated in community service in honor of Deah Barakat. The first annual "Deah Day" was celebrated by the dental school on Thursday. Over 350 dental students spent their mornings doing community service in different locations around Chapel Hill. Students gathered at 2 p.m. to hear various speakers, including Deah's father.

“We wanted to honor their legacy, and the only way we could think of doing it was through service, because that’s what they would have done,” said Omar AbdelBaky, a close friend of Barakat and the current student body president of the dentistry school.

To commemorate the lives of Barakat and Abu-Salha, the student body has implemented a new holiday: Deah Day, an acronym for “Directing Efforts and Honoring Deah and Yusor.”

All classes and clinics at the school were closed Thursday for the observance. AbdelBaky said a group of student leaders and Deah’s friends developed the idea to honor their friend.

Most of the planning for the day occurred over the summer — although the students officially pitched the idea in March — and the administration offered full support.

“They welcomed the idea with open arms,” said Kaushal Gandhi, a third-year dental student. “They gave us everything we needed — all the resources we needed, any support and any help we needed.”

The Spurgeon Society, the student government of the dental school, along with ENNEAD, the community service program, worked together to coordinate the event.

Students were placed into groups designed to help different areas within the community. Student site leaders directed volunteers to specific sites throughout Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Durham and Raleigh.

Twenty-two teams, comprising more than 350 student volunteers, worked on various projects.

“Most of the projects were not dental-related, which we liked, because we could remind everyone that we can serve in so many ways, and we don’t have to limit ourselves,” AbdelBaky said.

The School of Dentistry hopes Deah Day can expand and possibly become a UNC-wide day of service.

“Carolina as a whole wants to impact the community, the state and the global world,” said Tiffany Brannan, spokeswoman for the dentistry school.

People within the school hope Deah Day can continue to grow, and in a way, it already has. Brannan said a dental school in Michigan also had a Deah Day.

“We’ll definitely be annual, and we hope that it grows each year. Maybe one day it will be a University day of service,” AbdelBaky said.

He said he admired the way Deah and Yusor never stopped thinking about how to serve others.

“What we remember most is their service to community, especially when it’s easy to get lost in school and clinic and being busy with life,” he said.