Faculty Executive Committee approves athletics resolution

The faculty executive committee met to discuss university affairs at the Campus Y in the Queen Anne's Lounge on Sept.14, 2015.

The proposed task force, which was originally unaffiliated with the committee, met with opposition from the athletics committee at first, but the newest resolution makes the task force a part of the committee.

Vin Steponaitis, a member of the faculty executive committee, said the new task force could draw from the athletics committee’s experience.

“The new reiteration differs from the previous one in that it places the process of launching the public discussion directly under FAC,” he said.

The new committee would include two members appointed by the chairwoman of the athletics committee, one student member appointed by Faculty Chairman Bruce Cairns and at least four additional members appointed by Cairns.

Joy Renner, chairwoman of the athletics committee, said she will support the compromise.

“This is a way of pulling in the whole campus community,” Renner said. “It’s not a one-time conversation that’s just going to happen this year.”

This recommendation will be voted on by the Faculty Council, which considered the original resolution after it was proposed by Jay Smith, a history professor. If this recommendation is rejected, the original resolution calling for an ad hoc faculty task force separate from the athletics committee will be reconsidered.

Advising

Steponaitis stressed the value of advising that goes beyond course planning and discussing graduation requirements.

“We should do anything we can to make it harder for students to get through school here and not have the experience of connecting with a faculty member in a way other than sitting in a class,” Steponaitis said.

Lloyd Kramer, a history professor, said mentoring students is an important part of UNC’s tradition.

“Above all, it’s modeling a way of thinking about the world in which you analyze and think about connections between different points of views,” he said.

Notable

Chancellor Carol Folt said the University is working to address major topics including financing, budgeting, the sexual assault policy and binge drinking.

“There are strategic plans already in place, but weaving those plans together in the most compelling way and bringing in new ideas are things we need to do,” Folt said.

Quotable

Folt said she and other University professors received threats after conservative media criticized the Literature of 9/11 class. “I started worrying about safety,” she said.

What’s next?

The Faculty Executive Committee will meet on September 28 at 3 p.m. in South Building 105.